Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BBA Counselor
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't think about this until I saw another post about running wires through chases. It's been years since I set up a remote outboard, been running tillers for the last 15 or so.
In a new outboard main motor harness, one that goes to the console, are their power cables that run the whole way? Or is it not included and I need to run power from the console back to the motor seperatly?

G

·
Are you talking about main battery cables? If so... they are there but usually not long enough to reach the console.

·
BBA Counselor
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, main battery cables for the outboard to reach the battery switch in the console and battery/negatibe buss.

Are they usually just set up to reach posts near the motorwell?

G

·
Yes, you are correct in that they are usually meant for battery to be in the stern. I would run some full length power from the switch to motor. Obviously the run distance and amp draw of the starter will determine what size cable you will need.

·
BBA Counselor
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if I'm having a dealer install the motor, I would think that would be included. I'd rather a direct connection from the battery switch and negative post on the battery or buss bar to the motor, then leads to posts in the rear compartment. Thoughts?

G

·
It is usually included if the boat manufacturer places the batteries under the console. But the outboard manufacturer only provides a certain length/gauge cable with the motor. The dealer isn’t responsible for the design from either the boat or the motor.

·
BBA Counselor
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the manufacturer did put the batteries under the console, lol. I'll make sure they know when I get an updated quote. If they try to say something after the fact I'll let them know they were told in advance.

Still trying to decide on the guages. Not sure if it's worth paying for the digital guage and nmea2k setup just to have some data on my MDF.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts