Outboard mounting hole

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by c0rvtte73, Jan 13, 2015.

1. c0rvtte73

c0rvtte73 I Love microskiff.com!

Does the hole where you mount the outboard to the jack plate matter that much when you have a hydraulic jack plate? I had a different motor put on my boat and noticed the mechanic installed it with the motor at the top mounting hole, therefore making the motor sit lower. I have a hydraulic jack plate, so I was just curious if I should have him move it back to where it was originally? My thinking is if you have a jack plate, that you can just move the motor higher or lower with that.

2. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Water test it and find out. If the jack plate maxes out lower then you want then move the motor up. If it starts to blow out before it's fully raised then leave it where it is.

3. Capt Dan Medina

Capt Dan Medina Well-Known Member

X2

4. c0rvtte73

Should I be trimming the motor when testing it or leaving it motor trimmed down?

5. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Both, you have to find the sweet spot for each situation. Taking off you might want it tucked all the way down, but when on plane you might want it trimmed up a bit or it will plow. Time for an afternoon of water testing.

6. c0rvtte73

So I was able to take the boat out this weekend and drive it around a little. It will definitely blow out with the jack plate up all the way, so I will most likely just leave it where it is! Thanks for the suggestions.