Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
Is there a rule of thumb on how high / low the outboard needs to be mounted relative to the bottom of the skiff ??
Thanks
/d

·
Carpe Diem
1,699 Posts
Start with the cavitation (antiventilation) plate level with or slightly above the keel. Raise in increments until the prop breaks loose in turns or in chop. Lower one hole.

Typically a skiff will run well with the cav plate about 1" above the keel, sometimes as much as 2". If there's a jack plate or setback involved, these numbers will be different.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Start with the cavitation (antiventilation) plate level with or slightly above the keel. Raise in increments until the prop breaks loose in turns or in chop. Lower one hole.

Typically a skiff will run well with the cav plate about 1" above the keel, sometimes as much as 2". If there's a jack plate or setback involved, these numbers will be different.
Thanks !!!
I know very little about plates
We don't actually have very many shallow running boats out this way
It's something I'll have to learn about

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice padded v bottom, probably rides great in chop. Not to good polling. Get a photo behind engine at bottoms elevation. What brand boat n dimensions?
poling is an art that doesn't exist this side I haven't seen a pole boat yet
Id like to try but experience is thin
Boat is an African skiff island runner 4.4

Not enough ponies on that boat. How big is it?
it is a bit light but south Africans are notorious for over powering boats
its a 14'6"
went with it as i was hoping the lighter motor wouldn't sink the stern as much giving me a bit more shallow running boost
nice clean motor. drains are interesting.
the anti backflow drains are a sea worthiness requirement this side
the boat needs to effectively shed water off the "wet deck " without power
they work well but "clunk" closed in chop or as the boat rolls

thanks for your help guys I'm super excited to get this skiff up to its full skinny water fishing potential
i think I've got the best hull i could this side now its just fitting it out and setting it up
tx
/d
View media item 4024

1 - 10 of 10 Posts