Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well does the jet operate in the open Gulf/ocean?
-Is it to short in a tunnel hull (doesn't hang down far enough) to operate well if one was to go off shore in 1'-2' maybe + seas?
-Is it to short (tight to the bottom of the boat/doesn't hang down far enough) to operate well if one was to go off shore in 1'-2' + in a non-tunnel?
Thanks,

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,373 Posts
If they are set up properly on the boat height wise they work fine. The real problem is that they aren't very fuel efficient. If you make relatively short runs or have lots of fuel then no problem.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,078 Posts
I would research on Outboard Jets and other sites...reading and researching is worth more than asking opinions.
They don’t like choppy water, the impeller likes clean water, not aerated, rough water. They are designed for running shallow rivers and smooth water, not really made for running in chop.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks all,

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,078 Posts
Nothing wrong with asking questions on here, just meant this 10% and 90% researching. If you can locate someone with a jet rig ask them to go run it with them and toss some cash.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing wrong with asking questions on here, just meant this 10% and 90% researching. If you can locate someone with a jet rig ask them to go run it with them and toss some cash.
No worries at all.
I didn't realize a jet forum existed etc, not around them motors and was wondering if I could get away w/that setup for versatility.
Thanks all,

·
Brandon, FL
10,526 Posts
I would research on Outboard Jets and other sites...reading and researching is worth more than asking opinions.
They don’t like choppy water, the impeller likes clean water, not aerated, rough water. They are designed for running shallow rivers and smooth water, not really made for running in chop.
Don't tell that to all the F'ing jet skiers or the areas we fish will be loaded with them.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
ask yourself how many you see running around in the gulf. not my business but I see you agonizing over getting a skiff. you have enough info, just get a decent skiff in your price range and fish. you aren't going to get the perfect one 1st time anyway. you can change up later once you learn what you need. in the meantime you can enjoy yourself.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ask yourself how many you see running around in the gulf. not my business but I see you agonizing over getting a skiff. you have enough info, just get a decent skiff in your price range and fish. you aren't going to get the perfect one 1st time anyway. you can change up later once you learn what you need. in the meantime you can enjoy yourself.
Ya, just trying to get the perfect one for my needs/last boat most likely, and yes, I have learned a lot and about a lot of MFG that I can see copy each other in some areas especially price and some as well give in areas to think your getting a deal, but jack the price in other areas to make up etc, especially trailers.
Question still on my mind is a tunnel but not sure it will work out well in some rough water and thus just a boat w/a jack plate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts