Ouchies

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by snookum, Apr 27, 2008.

1. snookum

snookum catchem up

Well, today I decided to take the skiff that I have been building out. I left the channel and popped her up on plane and was off going.Fast foward about 10 minutes and I hear a nasty rattle and boom, my outboard lockes up.I sit and played with it till TowBoat came and pulled me back to BP. Got home and I started investigating, pulled the head off and found metal chunks in #3[85 h.p. yammi] started going farther, and low and behold, #3 rod bearing decided to take a crap and welded itself to the cranks and rod. so, for 10 minutes of running i broke a skirt off the piston because the bearing failed and let it wobble at 5500 rpm's .

[​IMG]

Guess Ill be repowering sooner than i thought. can you say ETEC?

2. inboardgheenoeguy

inboardgheenoeguy Well-Known Member

3. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

do you think the oil injection failed or something? Just curious what your thoughts are since you're obviously mechanically inclined enough to rip the heads off etc to see what happened.

4. snookum

snookum catchem up

well i rebuild powerheads on the side so i have some experince. lol

the oil ports were clogged and made the #3 crank bearing[rod to crank bearing] fail, which inturn made the piston wobble and shatter the skirt on it. Itll be getting a full rebuild[its apart in my garage, and thrown on another boat.