Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm no boat builder but I've bent some wood . Quartered , straight grain wood will bent better than flat sawn. Looking at the broken pieces , I can see the break is following the grain . I'd do a glued-up bent lamination if I couldn't fine straight grain wood( steam helps too) . My apologies if this seems condescending. I barely skimmed through this thread

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I'm no boat builder but I've bent some wood . Quartered , straight grain wood will bent better than flat sawn. Looking at the broken pieces , I can see the break is following the grain . I'd do a glued-up bent lamination if I couldn't fine straight grain wood( steam helps too) . My apologies if this seems condescending. I barely skimmed through this thread
Thanks. It is what I had. It wasn’t ideal but I thought I could make it work. I am going to cut some thinner pieces and do a lamination.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I’m thinking about deviating from the design and raising the front deck by 1/2” or 3/4” to give the boat a subtle Carolina yacht look. I would taper the the deck down until flush in the back. Not sure if it’s worth the effort or the extra weight (although it shouldn’t add that much). It will also give me the ability to beef up the deck overhang which will extend out about 4 extra inches at the widest spot in the front. What does everyone think?

61 - 80 of 97 Posts