Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Sorry for all the posts just breaking up the pictures.

The keel has been fitted to the frames.
Wood Plywood Architecture Wheel Art

This is the stem notch in frame A. It is tapered to match the stem profile. My cabinet maker rasp is my favorite tool right now.
Wood Plywood Hardwood Table Design

The stem is fitted at this point. Working on fitting the harpin to the sheer profile.
Floor Wood Hardwood Beam Room
Vehicle Metal
Vehicle Maritime museum Wood Boat Museum ship

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Used almost every clamp I have.
I ended up using 6 pumps resin and 3 pumps harder mixed with 404 and wood flour to glue up one harpin. The mixture was thick peanut butter.

I'm not an epoxy expert but that was what I figured was required.

Machine

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I have been fitting the chine for last few days. The process has been testing my patience. Trying to get the joint at the stem to match up and be symmetrical between and two sides. I read the books on the process but there doesn't seam to be an easy way on this process. Just trial and error.
Wood Table Beam Plywood Architecture

There is still a small gap but I think it could be filled with thickened epoxy. I am going to see if I can get a tighter fit just not sure if it will be successful.
Wood Hardwood Beam Table Wood stain
Hardwood Wood Stairs Floor Plywood

It is pretty close on both sides. (You can see I cut a notch in the stem at the first frame. Just getting ready for fairing.)
Wood Table Plywood Floor Vehicle

I am lucky that I was able to get 18 foot strips of mahogany. I didn't have to scarf two pieces together.
Wood Architecture Plywood Vehicle Dinghy
Architecture Wood Window Facade Construction

Attachments

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,922 Posts
There is still a small gap but I think it could be filled with thickened epoxy. I am going to see if I can get a tighter fit just not sure if it will be successful.
I have built exactly zero boats, but my understanding is that a small gap is sometimes preferred so that the layer of thickened epoxy isn't paper-thin. I think that uniformity is probably more important, as well as keeping everything as square as possible.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. I'm enjoying watching the step by step; thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
After a little more fitting I decided that it was good as good as it was going to get.

I used a couple of screws to hold the chine in place during the glue up.
Table Wood Wheel Hardwood Furniture

Wood Workbench Clamp Tool accessory Tool

After the chine being clamped in place over night the wood held its general shape when I took the clamps off to begin the glue up.
Wood Floor Construction Ladder Beam

All glued up.
Beam Wood Room Plywood Ceiling

Wood Dinghy Plywood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Architecture

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Been awhile since the last update. Family vacation, work trip, blah blah blah.

I attempted to install a stringer. I dry fit it before I had tapered the notches in the frames. (Very bad idea by the way). Overnight the stringer gave out.

After lots of consternation I gave it another try last night and it held up. Tonight all four stringers have been dry fit.

Wood Hardwood Table Wood stain Plywood

Wood Plywood Floor Construction equipment Hardwood

Wood Table Hardwood Furniture Beam

Table Wood Hardwood Furniture Plywood

Plywood Wood Dinghy Vehicle Architecture

Wood Roof Plywood Hardwood Lumber

Beam Wood Room Lumber Hardwood

Wood Ceiling Architecture Beam Plywood

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Well this post will be a public service announcement. Take my advise always be careful when working with wood that has been bent around a curve and is "loaded" with tension.

A couple of weeks ago I was glueing up the side stringers on my build. In order to get the epoxy on the joint I backed out the screw attaching the stringer to the stem. I them made a mistake when screwing it back in. I grabbed my drill and started screwing it without holding the board. In an instance the board split and "unloaded" on my arm.

Wood

Skin Joint Scar Flesh Knee

Luckily there is no permanent damage but it hurt for 1.5 weeks.

Always make sure you are holding onto a loaded board to control it in the event to breaks loose.

Now back to the build.

Three of the side stringers have been glued in. Not the prettiest fillets but they should work. I plan on cleaning them up.

Wood Beam Room

Wood Floor Hardwood Plywood Table

The inter stringers are also glued in.
Wood Plywood Hardwood Architecture Lumber
Wood Plywood Architecture Metal

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I haven’t updated my post in a while. Been working on and off on the boat. I have most of the stringers installed;however, I have had a lot of trouble bending the inter-most stringers. I have snapped them every time I tried to instal them. Some snapped while dry fitting. When I finally thought I had a set that would work I epoxied them in. They snapped also.
Wood Hardwood Lumber Wood stain Plywood

Wood Lumber Hardwood Plywood Beam

Wood Floor Deck Hardwood Roof

Wood Room Hardwood Floor Beam

Wood Hardwood

Wood Hardwood Lumber Beam Plywood

It looked like I was going to make it with this one...
Wood Hardwood Lumber Plywood Wood stain

and then it broke.
Wood Lumber Hardwood Plywood

I think I have to use lamination to make the curve.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 97 Posts