21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,601 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Now that the transom has some pitch to it, do you have to clean up the cuts on the inside layer to fit all the mohagony?
Yes it will take some cleaning up on the transom to get it fair with the other frames. I haven't had a lot of time the last few days to work on it. I still need to get everything leveled and attached to the strongback. The frames are only temporarily clamped in right now.

I've been trying to get the keel cut out of the long piece of mahogany. It is really long and heavy. If I get time tonight I'll start making some cuts on it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Now that the transom has some pitch to it, do you have to clean up the cuts on the inside layer to fit all the mohagony?
Yes it will take some cleaning up on the transom to get it fair with the other frames. I haven't had a lot of time the last few days to work on it. I still need to get everything leveled and attached to the strongback. The frames are only temporarily clamped in right now.

I've been trying to get the keel cut out of the long piece of mahogany. It is really long and heavy. If I get time tonight I'll start making some cuts on it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
155 Posts
There shouldn't be too much to clean up as the slots are designed to allow the mahogany stringers to run through the inner transom. The outer transom is installed after these have been trimmed flush with the inner transom. The gaps around the stringers should be filled with thickened resin. After the outer transom is glued up, you can then go back and fair the transom to receive the planking.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I haven't posted progress in a couple days so here it is. I managed to cut into the mahogany to make my keel. First I had to true up one edge with a hand plane. It sure is nice when they are nice and sharp. Floor Wood Plywood Hardwood Flooring
Machine Table Furniture Floor Workbench

My poor table saw was struggling to cut that big board. Had to take it nice and slow.
Wood Hardwood Plywood Floor Lumber

The keel is just resting on top. I still need to square up all the frames. I'm just cutting all the parts right now.
Wood Architecture Table Plywood Hardwood

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Last night I cut out the stem pieces. They are now ready for a little epoxy mixed with some filler. Hope to get to that this weekend.

Rough cut with the trusty jigsaw.
Wood

I should have changed my saw blade. I just didn't want to go through setting it all up. It worked fine but needed some clean up on the disk sander and with the cabinet file.
Floor Wood Hardwood Table Flooring

Tool Antique tool Metalworking hand tool

Wood Hardwood Machine tool Tool Tool accessory

Nice tight fit
Wood Recreation Table Adventure

Needed a little more on this side.
Wood Japanese saw Hardwood Wood stain Tool

Ready for epoxy.
Wood

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
A little more sawdust therapy tonight. Worked on cutting out pices for the harpin. Still need to go back and get the frames squared up and attached to the strongback. Trying to get all the pieces cut out before starting to glue any of them to the frames.

Wood Hardwood Plywood Floor Table

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Not a lot of progress lately. Last weekend went down to POC and did a little fishing with my dad, brother, niece and the boys. Went out with a guide and fished the beach for trout. 25 trout and a blacktip shark.

Fish Fish Sardine Mullet Coregonus lavaretus

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Spent the weekend with the boys so my wife could get some well deserved girl time. She got back today so I spent a little time cutting out some Mahogany. Managed to get the inboard stringers cut and dry fit to the frames.

Laid out the templates for various pieces of the harpin and inboard stem.
Wood woodworking Plywood Hardwood Lumber

Dry fitting.
Wood Plywood Architecture Room Scale model

You can see where the inboard stem will be faired to follow the frame contour.
Wood Plywood Hardwood Wood stain Metal

I realized I need to recut two frames this weekend. Not sure what I was thinking when I cut them out. I don't want the frames in the front and back of the cockpit to be open to the storage areas. I will recut two new frames without the opening.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Lots of progress since my last post. Here is the keel taper for the transition to the stem.

Marking the keel
Floor Wood Hardwood Plywood Flooring

First side cut. I used my miter saw saw horse to hold it not cut it.
Construction equipment Crane Vehicle Machine Wood

The taper was cut with power planner and hand plan. Tool Impact wrench Vehicle Construction equipment

All done.
Wood Floor

Wood Hardwood Floor Plywood Table

·
Registered
39 Posts
Awesome work man! Here I am afraid to add some decks and false floor on my gheenoe out of coosa and you're building this work of art. Very inspiring and keep up the great work!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Awesome work man! Here I am afraid to add some decks and false floor on my gheenoe out of coosa and you're building this work of art. Very inspiring and keep up the great work!
Thanks for the compliments. This has been a fun project. Sounds like you may have a project on your hands as well. Are you posting on here as well? I'm always checking out everyone's project and boat layouts. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to finish out my skiff.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Here are some more pics of the progress.

Leveling the frames here.
Wood Hardwood Plywood Table Lumber

All the frames are level and I added braces to the keel line to ensure the frames stay evenly spaced.
Wood Hardwood Table Lumber Floor

Wood Hardwood Table Plywood Lumber

I had some leftover cedar strips from the kayak build that I stapled to the frames to keep it straight while fitting the stringers, chine, and harpin.
Wood Room Architecture Hardwood Plywood
Wood Floor Hardwood Room Architecture
Wood Floor Roof Architecture Plywood

Attachments

21 - 40 of 100 Posts