Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought plans to build a Smith Marine Design Osprey 18 skiff. I managed to get 5 sheets of 18mm hydrotech plywood today. I should be making saw dust soon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice Tomahawk and Timm. That is my plan. I am a father of three boys so I go into the garage and start working after there mother and they go to bed each night. Wood working is my therapy. I should have named the thread. Confession of a night time boat builder.

I finished cuting another frame tonight. Trying to cut one a night. I also got the next two laid out.

Floor
Wood Font Plywood Floor
Wood Design Plywood Table Paper

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious: are these plans available so they could be loaded into a CNC cutter to make life much simpler and easier and less time consuming and cut perfect?
Timm would have to answer that question for you. He is listed above as boatdesigner. His website is smithmarinedesign.com.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeremiah, I've been building the crystal 16 for the last year. It's been a huge stress reliever. Never believed that building a boat would be so much fun. Just to sit and have a beer at night and look at what has been accomplished. Keep up the good work.
Woodworking is a passion of mine. This is my first cold molded boat build. I built a stripper kayak a few year back and have been wanting to build a boat for a while. I will check out your build. Thanks for the post

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Two more frames. Only two more to go. There is nothing like a little sawdust therapy to finish off the day. I love the look of the frames stacked up.

I've been able to work about two hours each night. I am hoping to keep that up.

Once the last two frames are done I get to start cutting on the 16' x 12" 6/4 mahogany. That should be lots of fun trying to control on the table saw.

Wood Plywood Floor Hardwood Wood stain

Wood Plywood Table
Wood
Wood Plywood Metal
Wood woodworking Carving
Wood Hardwood Plywood Lumber woodworking

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't get any boat work done last night but I used the time to clean up the garage and make space for the build.

Tonight I put together the two pieces that make the strongback.

The box didn't want to square up so I added corner braces.
Floor Wood Flooring Hardwood Plywood
Table Wood Furniture Plywood Floor
Wood Furniture Shelf Table Ladder
Wood Table Plywood Furniture Floor

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Now that the transom has some pitch to it, do you have to clean up the cuts on the inside layer to fit all the mohagony?
Yes it will take some cleaning up on the transom to get it fair with the other frames. I haven't had a lot of time the last few days to work on it. I still need to get everything leveled and attached to the strongback. The frames are only temporarily clamped in right now.

I've been trying to get the keel cut out of the long piece of mahogany. It is really long and heavy. If I get time tonight I'll start making some cuts on it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Now that the transom has some pitch to it, do you have to clean up the cuts on the inside layer to fit all the mohagony?
Yes it will take some cleaning up on the transom to get it fair with the other frames. I haven't had a lot of time the last few days to work on it. I still need to get everything leveled and attached to the strongback. The frames are only temporarily clamped in right now.

I've been trying to get the keel cut out of the long piece of mahogany. It is really long and heavy. If I get time tonight I'll start making some cuts on it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I haven't posted progress in a couple days so here it is. I managed to cut into the mahogany to make my keel. First I had to true up one edge with a hand plane. It sure is nice when they are nice and sharp. Floor Wood Plywood Hardwood Flooring
Machine Table Furniture Floor Workbench

My poor table saw was struggling to cut that big board. Had to take it nice and slow.
Wood Hardwood Plywood Floor Lumber

The keel is just resting on top. I still need to square up all the frames. I'm just cutting all the parts right now.
Wood Architecture Table Plywood Hardwood

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Last night I cut out the stem pieces. They are now ready for a little epoxy mixed with some filler. Hope to get to that this weekend.

Rough cut with the trusty jigsaw.
Wood

I should have changed my saw blade. I just didn't want to go through setting it all up. It worked fine but needed some clean up on the disk sander and with the cabinet file.
Floor Wood Hardwood Table Flooring

Tool Antique tool Metalworking hand tool

Wood Hardwood Machine tool Tool Tool accessory

Nice tight fit
Wood Recreation Table Adventure

Needed a little more on this side.
Wood Japanese saw Hardwood Wood stain Tool

Ready for epoxy.
Wood

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
A little more sawdust therapy tonight. Worked on cutting out pices for the harpin. Still need to go back and get the frames squared up and attached to the strongback. Trying to get all the pieces cut out before starting to glue any of them to the frames.

Wood Hardwood Plywood Floor Table

1 - 20 of 68 Posts