Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought plans to build a Smith Marine Design Osprey 18 skiff. I managed to get 5 sheets of 18mm hydrotech plywood today. I should be making saw dust soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
I Love microskiff.com!
155 Posts
Looks good! Tomahawk is right, do a little each day, take your time and before you know it you'll be planking. Being careful and accurate at this stage will pay great benefits later when everything is more fair. Sanding and fairing is probably the most tedious part of the job, so do everything you can to minimize that part of the job.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice Tomahawk and Timm. That is my plan. I am a father of three boys so I go into the garage and start working after there mother and they go to bed each night. Wood working is my therapy. I should have named the thread. Confession of a night time boat builder.

I finished cuting another frame tonight. Trying to cut one a night. I also got the next two laid out.

IMG_1250.JPG
IMG_1252.JPG
IMG_1255.JPG

·
Brandon, FL
9,296 Posts
Just curious: are these plans available so they could be loaded into a CNC cutter to make life much simpler and easier and less time consuming and cut perfect?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious: are these plans available so they could be loaded into a CNC cutter to make life much simpler and easier and less time consuming and cut perfect?
Timm would have to answer that question for you. He is listed above as boatdesigner. His website is smithmarinedesign.com.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jeremiah, I've been building the crystal 16 for the last year. It's been a huge stress reliever. Never believed that building a boat would be so much fun. Just to sit and have a beer at night and look at what has been accomplished. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeremiah, I've been building the crystal 16 for the last year. It's been a huge stress reliever. Never believed that building a boat would be so much fun. Just to sit and have a beer at night and look at what has been accomplished. Keep up the good work.
Woodworking is a passion of mine. This is my first cold molded boat build. I built a stripper kayak a few year back and have been wanting to build a boat for a while. I will check out your build. Thanks for the post

Attachments

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,277 Posts
I recently bought plans to build a Smith Marine Design Osprey 18 skiff. I managed to get 5 sheets of 18mm hydrotech plywood today. I should be making saw dust soon.
Sweet! Looking forward to this built. Love the look and fuction of this DIY microskiff project skiff.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another two frames done tonight

IMG_1268.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1276.JPG

The frames appear to be coming out correct. The the keel cutout are lining up and the stack of frames look like they are in alighnment.
IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1278.JPG
IMG_1279.JPG
IMG_1280.JPG
IMG_1281.JPG

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Two more frames. Only two more to go. There is nothing like a little sawdust therapy to finish off the day. I love the look of the frames stacked up.

I've been able to work about two hours each night. I am hoping to keep that up.

Once the last two frames are done I get to start cutting on the 16' x 12" 6/4 mahogany. That should be lots of fun trying to control on the table saw.

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG
IMG_1285.JPG
IMG_1286.JPG
IMG_1287.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG

·
Registered
466 Posts
Looks good! Tomahawk is right, do a little each day, take your time and before you know it you'll be planking. Being careful and accurate at this stage will pay great benefits later when everything is more fair. Sanding and fairing is probably the most tedious part of the job, so do everything you can to minimize that part of the job.
That advice is priceless ...the end result of everything in life is based off the foundation it is built on ...take your time ... but hurry....

·
I Love microskiff.com!
155 Posts
Someone asked earlier about CNC cutting. I do have cut files for the frames and transom. I have been working with two different firms for cutting and have also sold the rights on an individual basis to cut a boat using the files. If you want to have one cut, contact me through my website and I'll work something out for you depending on where you live. I am trying to minimize the shipping costs by cutting them as close to the builder as possible.

Jeremiah, the parts look great! Your family must be deep sleepers as the sound of cutting plywood doesn't wake them up!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't get any boat work done last night but I used the time to clean up the garage and make space for the build.

Tonight I put together the two pieces that make the strongback.

The box didn't want to square up so I added corner braces.
IMG_1291.JPG
IMG_1292.JPG
IMG_1293.JPG
IMG_1300.JPG

1 - 20 of 70 Posts