Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys using either of these brand batteries. I was originally going to go with one battery on my skiff, but think it might be best to go with two as I will have a 55lb trolling motor and a livewell. I am figuring a starting battery for the motor (30 hp electric start) and livewell and a deep cycle battery for the troll motor. Mount one in console and the other up front. Any suggestions or comments. I welcome any advice thanks

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Any of you guys using either of these brand batteries.  I was originally going to go with one battery on my skiff, but think it might be best to go with two as I will have a 55lb trolling motor and a livewell.  I am figuring a starting battery for the motor (30 hp electric start) and livewell and a deep cycle battery for the troll motor.  Mount one in console and the other up front.  Any suggestions or comments.  I welcome any advice   thanks
I've run Odysseys on my Hewes for about 3 years. I did have to replace two, which were covered under warranty after a little bit of discussion with the pres of the company who I just happened to bump into. Very nice guy and stands behind his product. The reason was that I did not charge them after every trip; at times I left them uncharged which is bad.

I have two PC1200's running a Minn-Kota RT80 troller, and a PC1700 running everything else on the boat. Have never run them out.

I would say that if you are looking for a small battery just for starting/small electronics, look closely at the specs on the smaller batteries from Odyssey. The Amp/Hr ratings vary according to size, and some of the small batteries actually have more juice than the slightly larger ones.

Overall they are a very good battery, and if size and/or weight is an issue, there may be no other alternative (I was able to put all three Odysseys under the small console in a 16 redfisher, and would not have been able to do that with conventional batteries). Just make sure you take care of them!

Also, check out the reviews on Cabela's for the Optima batteries, might make you think twice.....
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0064002013704a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCHFEAT_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=optima&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

-T

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I went to my local minn kota dealer and he sells Optimas. He gave me a good deal on two - I will use one for the 12 volt trolling motor and the other to start the boat and run the livewell. Again, thanks for the input.

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1996 Scout 192 Sportfish
4,972 Posts
The reason was that I did not charge them after every trip; at times I left them uncharged which is bad.
http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1234034518

What is more important your battery, charger or charging regiment? Nope you probably guessed wrong.

Here is my .0002 so take it for what it's worth. After spending several years working part time at West Marine the number 1 reason for a bad battery return was the recharging routine boaters used to recharge their batteries. Mose never hooked them to a recharger. Others use an improper types of charger or wrong methods of charging. Thus they killed their batteries but we would replace them. I tried to educate them but most knew more than me.  ::) Funny how I would see the same few folks every 8-12 months with a battery with dead cells.

Anyhow, here is what I suggest;

1. RECHARGE Before and AFTER EVERY TRIP! No ifs and or buts. Unless you are a charter Capt. who books 200 plus trips a year chances are that your boat sits idle more than it runs. Many times minor power draws from electronics will slowly drain your batter. If your boat will sit for a long while charge the battery with the proper charger. This brings me to number 2.

2. If you are going to buy a deep cycle or mixed cycle battery then buy the proper charger. If your going to maintain batteries for a long period of time you need a three stage charger. Stage 1 is the rapid or bulk stage where about 80% of the batteries charge is replaced. The stage 2 is the absorption stage. This stage takes longer than stage 1 but lowers the current to try to replace the last 20% or so of the charge. Then stage 3 which is called the float or top-off charge. This can talk several hours and helps to condition the battery and replace the charge to 100%. If you are not using a three stage charger you are killing your batteries and wasting money.

3. Battery. Odyssey makes an incredible product. There are not bones about it. They are military grade and because the technology is not a wet cell battery you can mount it most anywhere and in most any direction... do not try this with a wet cell battery it will leak!  AMG or Gell Cell batteries also don't suffer from gassing like a wet cell. You WILL pay more! But I have seen Odysey batteries last over 5 years with proper maintenance and still going strong.

If you don't want to go with an Odyssey battery then you want to look for two things. First if this is only for a trolling motor/house accessories and not starting go deep cycle. Period end of story. Yes the are a little more but it's well worth is. Second get the largest you can fit. On my previous skiff I ran a 55lb 12V trolling motor and used a Group 31 West Marine (Dekka) Wet Cell battery. That was, as Brett says, the best bang for the buck. The trade off was weight...

I could go on for hours about batteries. There is just so much misinformation out there. I hope those three point which are in order of importance as far as I'm concerned, help.

Cheers
Capt. Jan

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update. After a trip up to see Mel at Ankona Boats I am going to go with Odyssey batteries. A smaller version in the console to start and run live well and a 1200 up front to power the 55lb Minn Kota. I am going to save alot of weight over the Optima batteries.

·
Registered
721 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts