Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Which would you pick?! Mitzi or Bossman

• 2005 - Mitzi Skiff 17t (60 hp Yamaha 2 stroke)

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • 2013 - Bossman Karma 19 (30 hp tohatsu 4 stroke)

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the Microskiff community consensus on a Mitzi 17t Center console with a 2005 Yamaha 2 stroke versus a Bossman Karma 19 side console 30Hp 4 stroke tohatsu? Need opinions, which one takes the cake here?! Annnnd go!!

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
karma all day for me but they are very different boats. I had a mitzi 17 back in like 07 and never again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
karma all day for me but they are very different boats. I had a mitzi 17 back in like 07 and never again.
Thanks for your input! Would you mind elaborating on why you would choose the Bossman over the Mitzi?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I have no personal.experiance eith either but have heard stories of leaking sponsoses in the bossmans maybe someone can elaborate on here. Why are you limited to these 2 models?

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
well aside from the multiple issues I had with the mitzi 17, I think the karma will go shallower, will pole better if that's your thing and would be better in narrow mangrove creeks. this is only my guess from the design and looking at one in person at the dealership years ago. I have never been out on the water on one. I haven't heard of sponson's leaking but if that's a real issue then it would need some research.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no personal.experiance eith either but have heard stories of leaking sponsoses in the bossmans maybe someone can elaborate on here. Why are you limited to these 2 models?
I currently own the Mitzi 17t 2005 - and was considering selling to get the 2013 Bossman, just wanted to get opinions on both aspects.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think skiff shop just posted some pics of the inside of a bossman they had to fix on IG might want to look at those....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think skiff shop just posted some pics of the inside of a bossman they had to fix on IG might want to look at those....
I saw that post on FB, made me question the quality consistency of a Bossman, that would be an absolute nightmare to buy a boat then have to have a repair such as that

·
Registered
135 Posts
I saw that post on FB, made me question the quality consistency of a Bossman, that would be an absolute nightmare to buy a boat then have to have a repair such as that
They do have some neat looking skiffs i liked the one that had the locking rod storage but the reviews i found were not that great and it was not just one or two whiny people

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bossman is no longer in business . Search BBB and google them, you should see a story from a local news station in Florida.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Richard, the owner of Bossman, passed way a little while ago. The firm is in probate. Keep in mind that now, any Bossman, you buy has no warranty or shop honoring any previous warranties. I have a pre Bossman known as a Morgan Skimmer 16. Currently, I have a leaking issue and I'm trying to locate and contact the original builder/designer, Jim Walthers. Anyone have information on his location or method to contact him, please let me know. By the way, I,m really satisfied with the vessels fishablility.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have heard of countless quality issues with bossman... They look nice from a distance, but I would never buy one. I have fished out of some Mitzi skiffs and they seem to be good boats for the money. A local Capt here has ran the 17 for a long time and I have heard nothing but good things from him on the boat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts