Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 14' aluminum semi-v jonboat that I'm rebuilding and I plan to paint it this fall. I have it 85-90% stripped to bare aluminum. I will finish stripping right before I prime and paint so it doesn't have time to oxidize. Deck, false floor etc will be fabbed in the meantime. Hope to have it complete by end of March, 2020.
I don't want to go with paint that will fade in 3 years needing to be repainted. I do want something high gloss, I'm not building a duckboat.
The hull weighs 150# and drafted 3.5" center stern when I loaded it with 600-650 lbs of sandbags to simulate the weight of the motor, false floor, front deck, fuel tank, coolers, TM, battery, and me. I think it will make a nice skiff and I plan to take care of it. I'll post a few pics in a bit.
I need to do more research on primers. I know I will need a self-etching primer but that's about it.
I considered Rustoleum Topside and Valspar Rust Armor but the internet tells me they aren't as hard, glossy or fade-resistant as the one part polyurethane paints I've listed below. They sure are cheaper though.
I'm 99% sure I will go with an off-white(oyster white?) on the exterior and I want to color match the Yeti seafoam green for the interior. The boat will get used probably 60/40 fresh vs salt. Trailered. Covered at first, but garaged hopefully by mid next year.
Not sure how I will apply, either roll/tip or spray. I do have a shop and a high volume air compressor with a refrigerant dryer system. I've sprayed a lot of wrought iron with the rustoleum enamel. It's impressive how long the rustoleum enamel resists fading and sun degradation, so if these polyurethane paints are even better... wow.
I'm wanting to know more about:
1. Epiphane Mono-Urethane. 750ML(.8 qt) $43, covers 120 sq ft.
Urethane/Alkyd formula, 24 colors and they say custom is available.
2. TotalBoat Wet Edge. 1 qt $37, covers 80-100 sq ft.
Polyurethane formula, 21 colors available, nice selection. Looks like I can use what they have without a color match.
3. Interlux Brightside. 1 qt $39, covers 120 sq ft.
Polyurethane formula, 23 colors, not sure if they have exactly what I'm looking for.
4. Pettit EZ Poxy Topside. 1 qt $39, covers 150 sq ft.
Polyurethane formula, 24 colors, nice selection.
Thanks for your help and opinions. If there are other paints I should be considering, let me know.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I've used the Totalboat and the Interlux brightside paints. The Totalboat seems harder and more durable than the Interlux. The Totalboat doesn't bubble up ,like the Interlux, when water sits on it for long periods of time. The only negative of the Totalboat is the color fades quicker than the Interlux.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s too bad about the fade. Do you feel like it’s a result of UV exposure or just something it does with time?
How long before it became noticeable?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The color is not as vivid within 6 months with the totalboat,but the interlux does fade also. The interlux has more sheen. The skiffs are stored outside and the south florida sun is harsh. My skiffs aren't huge and its not a big deal to roll on another interior coat every 18 to 24 months to refresh it.

G

·
It’s a tin boat, check out Valspar LIC40. It is a 2k paint for industrial applications, hard as nails, retains it’s gloss, can be sprayed, brushed, or rolled and tipped with right reducer.

·
BBA Counselor
7,233 Posts
I've used a few single stage paints including the Valspar, Rustoleum, and interlux Brightsides. If you want to get a decade in between repainting then I'd look elsewhere. If you are ok with the reality that it might be a 5 year job then the brightsides did pretty well.
As far as the rustoleum goes, I used it on my decks with some enamel hardener and krylon webbing spray on top. It held up well over the last 8 years, but it's time to refinish. I'll say though, there is no real difference between rustoleum, and their marine stuff, other then color/sheen selection.

If you are looking for just a knock around boat with a work boat finish, the single stage is the way to go. If you want the boat to be nice for a long time then look at Quantum, Awlgrip, Alexseal paints, but be prepared for sticker shock.

G

·
The Valspar I recommended is a 2k paint and I’d put it against anything out there from a durability and gloss retention stand point. It is what I used on my truck and after 3 years in the Florida sun and running it in the woods there is no sign of fading and not a scratch on it!

G

·
About $150 gallon plus reducer&hardener so around $225 for a gallon kit last I purchased. It’s not a “marine” paint but I wouldn’t let that stop me! Most single part paints shouldn’t be used below the waterline anyway! At least this stuff is a 2k urethane made for industrial use!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the kind of info I was hoping to get.
I’ll look into the LIC40, so far haven’t found much. Is it tintable? Who distributes it?
I’m seeing more and more about how the urethane paints bring toxicity to a new level compared to oil based enamel. That the carbon full face mask isn’t enough anymore. I need to look into that also.
Thanks guys, great info.

G

·
The Valspar is available in about any color you can think of. Go to a Valspar paint jobber and take a look and ask questions.

Toxicity is a whole other conversation!

The 2k urethanes have isocyanates and they can be deadly. “The enamle hardener” that tsc and the like sell also have isocyanates. Again, they are bad! If using and all that is available is a standard charcoal pack respirator, proceed with caution in a well ventilated area. Wear all ppe and cover entire body! This stuff will get in through your skin, eyes, mouth, nose, and anywhere else you can imagine!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you. I have a 36” attic exhaust fan in my shop, I’ll have it on with a garage door 1/4 open to set up a decent current. Tyvek suit, carbon mask, gloves. Been a while since I had to take all of that into consideration.
I think Sherwin Williams and Home Depot are Valspar distributors, you’re saying they may be able to order it?

G

·
Doubt SW or HD can get it. Find an autobody jobber near you that carries valspar products. You can find online also but shipping may be high!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, I’ll look around. I’m offshore for the next month or so but I have time before I need it, October/November. Thanks

·
Brandon, FL
10,959 Posts
Do not strip down to bare metal unless you have too. You will never get the paint bite like the factory.

Onto your paint question. My experience with paints is they behave differently depending what they are covering.

If I am painting metal I would be looking at industrial coatings and skip every paint you list.

Sherwood Williams corothane 1 single stage is what I would use.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts