opinions on a trailer.

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by firecat1981, May 13, 2011.

1. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Well as some of you know I bought a rolls axle bronze trailer. It was all aluminum c-channel and ss hardware and looked to be real nice when I picked it up. When I got it home I noticed the jack stand made the tongue, which was c-channel ran all the way up to the coupler, twist a bit. Well after putting the boat on it, which is about 200lbs or so right now and still easily lifted, it twisted much more and pulled the bunk away from the transom. Set down straight on a bucket it still had a twist. The builder came right over to look at it and said he would do anything I want to make it right which I appreciated, but my confidence was shot already, so when I unloaded the boat a few days later and brought it back I had him cut me a check. I still think there gold series trailers are great and would buy one if I had a bigger boat, but I would stay away from the bronze line.

So now I'm back in the hunt, But no longer interested in aluminum. I'm going back to standard strong galvanized steel. I went back to outcast watersports because they seem to be the cheapest in the area from the phone calls I've made, and I've bought from them before. I'll most liekly be ordering a 16' magic tilt but need to decide on a few options.

The one I looked at today was pretty basic, but it did have a torsion axle, oil bath hubs, plastic step fenders, side guides, and 13" tires along with the other standard items. It was priced right under $1000 which seems pretty reasonable to me. It was a 56" frame and my boat bottom is 53" so it would work, however they could order me one in a 62" frame for like $30 more.

So I guess I'm looking for opinions on a few things. First I don't know much about oil bath hubs as I always used bearing buddies on spring axles. Are they better then sealed bearings (another option if I get smaller 12" tires)?
    I guess really the only other opinion needed is about the size. 56 or 62? I know it's only 6 inches, but I figure if I want to lower it to sit more inside the fenders the 62 would be easier, plus if I ever build a wide boat it would work too. That being said it is overkill for my boat now. With the axle rating the same which would you get?
    Last I guess is the price, I've called around and it seems that as aluminum prices have come down, steel has come up slightly.

2. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

That sucks about the trailer :mad: I would go with the wider trailer just in case like you said in the future you decide to build another one (always thinking about the next one ;)). If you have the room why not I know that 6 inches wider in my garage wouldnt happen, my stuff is packed in there real tight. How much more to go aluminum? If there is a posibilty you go with a wider trailer for the future it will be piece of mind to know that the aluminum will last longer for that future project. Let us know what you come up with

3. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Once you have a quality oil bath hub system youll never go back to the grease crap

4. firecat1981

Well what I found is most of the places I got low quotes on trailers from make them from C channel. The Rolls trailer had C channel that was easily 3 times thicker then my old steel trailer, but seemed only half as strong. I don't want to bash them, but it was funny that when I told the guy at outcast I just had to return an aluminum trailer because it twisted on me, his response was "I bet you I can tell you who made it."
    The cheaper I beam trailers start around the $1600 range, but still use alot of galvanized parts. I think I'm going with the galvanized trailer. My gheenoe trailer was just painted over rusty steel with rustoleum and after 3 years it only had a few spots of surface rust on it. Friend still has it, and my wrecked trailer is still in service and looks new, shorter and bunkless, but new. I just feel more comfortable with the strength of steel now, if it starts to rust that badly I'll sand her down and epoxy paint it.
    As far as the width, the trailer I returned was 60", so 62" is no problem. It will look a little big for her, but that's ok. The only thing is the 62" only comes in 21ft long, where the 56" came in 18ft. So I'll be adding a swing tongue to it, and honestly that was the one thing I really didn't like about the rolls, couldn't add the swing tongue so I would have had to part it diagonally.

So oil bath is better then greasers ay? Great, the torsion axle looked nice and beefy too.

5. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

Firecat I am through with float on type trailers. I used break frame trailers for many years without problems. I am going back to them again as I will only get the tires wet.

Frank_S

6. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

dude, get a continental like mine, excellent trailer with absolutely no complaints, doesnt matter if you've got oil bath or regular grease hubs they never get wet !! :) s.s hardware says it will last forever. dont let this unfortunate incident ruin your opinion on aluminum :eek:

7. firecat1981

Frank we have a tilt trailer at work, while I like the way it unloads in bad ramps and deep shorelines, I think it's much harder to load up on the return trip and really don't see myself using the feature much. Plus it adds a bunch of cost to the trailer and I'm sold on a simple budget model.

SBC is your trailer aluminum? If so it's out of my price range. Also what happened to continental's website? all they have now is some cheesy brochure. It may just be me, but I like to see what I'm buying and outcast seems to be the only place in the area that actually stocks anything. I keep calling places locally and the answer is always the same, we can order you one :mad:.
    Now I'm not turned off on aluminum, but I can't afford the model I want, and honestly I'm not going to pay more for a trailer then I have into constructing my boat. I was a bit taxed at $1200 for the rolls and I'd like to stay under that now.

On a side note I've been reading up on oil bath hubs and well, I see more negatives then positives. If I can't get this trailer with greased hubs I may have to look elsewhere.

8. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

IMO the Loadmaster's alum are the best in material and strenght if u have the $$$ for it. And, obtaining parts is easy and inexpensive compared to the rest of them. I do not like being held hostage by a company parts pricing.

I would stay away from oil bath cause if it leaks completely out u are sunk..
    KISS policy for this dummy...........

9. firecat1981

The aluminum trailer I would want would run me upwards of $2k now, so aluminum is out. I'm going with galvanized. As far as parts are concerned I can get them anywhere around here as there are atleast 30 trailer shops in a 20 mile radius. I think thats really just an issue with fancier trailer and custom parts. KISS I agree, I've decided against oil bath hubs, but I think the only other option in the model I am looking at is a sealed bearing system with 12" tires. Not sure I like the thought of not being able to grease up before a haul.

10. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

x2---grease! baby grease! :D

11. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

well its all relative, you spend more on a quality trailer you get more out of a quality trailer but if your budget calls for galvanized then it is what it is, galvanized properly cared for will give you many years of useful service :cool:

12. firecat1981

Ah well it's been interesting getting this trailer nailed down. Things have turned around some and I'm going with a trailer I didn't expect.

Here's a lesson in customer service.
    I went back to outcast a few days ago and spoke with the older guy who is always outside. Long story short I had to call a different guy on monday to ask some questions and order what I wanted. So I called back today and spoke with the guy who deals with the trailer orders, he seemed less then happy to speak with me. All I wanted to know is if I could order the trailer with bearing buddies instead of sealed bearings. The response was they come in how they come in. So I asked can you check what comes with the model I want, the response was I don't know till they get here.....WTF? :mad: He just lost a $1000 sale and my business.

I called TA mahoney's and got a quote on a galvanized continental trailer. The only issue is there frame sizes, for all the trailers they have they jump around for a 16ft boat, some are too skinny, some are to wide. I was looking for a 60-62" like the others I looked at. Well the only one they had close was a 59". The only thing is it is a tilt trailer (seperating tongue, split tongue, break frame....), But since it is basically the same price as the other trailer I was looking at I'll just count it as a bonus. It doesn't have the torsion axle, but I'm ok with that.

So I'm planning on going tomorrow and placing my order, anyone have any concerns? Or is there any downside to a tilt/ break frame trailer?

13. twitch

twitch Well-Known Member

I've never seen any downside to a tilt trailer. They sure make loading and unloading at less than ideal launch sites easier.

X 3 on staying away from oil bath hubs. I have them on my loadmaster tandem and 3 of the 4 hubs have leaked since new. I finally threw in the towel and bought the threaded bearing buddy for the hubs and filled them with grease.

14. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Man that sucks about the rolls axle. I'm happy with mine but would never go so far as saying it's the best trailer I've towed with. No issues so I'm happy at this point.

I think you'd do well to stay with bearing buddies. Nothing lasts forever. Bearing buddies are cheap insurance, and the bearings will be easy (and cheap) to repair so you won't delay in doing so when needed. They make the time between needed bearing replacements a lot longer.

Let's face it; if you're going to haul a boat a lot, it makes sense to spend $20 on bearings once a year whether it needs it or not, right?

I've stuck with continental and other big names for trailers and haven't really had much to complain about construction wise.

My choice if I were you would be the wider trailer; it'll pull nicer over broken/uneven pavement and offer you more versatility in loading. Also, you may wind up with an easier entry/exit to the boat when on the trailer with wider frame rails.

Stay with torsion axles if at all possible! Can't say that enough. If you have to go springs, be sure to have the U-bolts to secure the springs to the axles; I lost an axle when the spring perch rusted and I didn't have the U-bolts, learned the hard way. Not good!

15. firecat1981

I ended up ordering the continental, should be here wednesday. It is a tilt trailer with a 59" frame. It doesn't have a torsion axle, the ones that were available to me in the size I needed were rated too high, don't want to rattle my boat apart. Since it is a tilt trailer I can still launch if need be without dunking my hubs. If the springs rust out I can replace them for $40, but I'm not worried about it as I will take care of it well. On a major positive side I won't have to worry about the bearing buddies as the trailer comes with posi-lube hubs. From the info I have reviewed they are 100 times better then bearing buddies and never have to be repacked, it's actually suggested you don't repack and just swap the grease every year.

16. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Good deal. Be sure to give us a write-up/opinion on it when you get some miles on it. I'd like to see how that tilt feature works, have heard about it but never seen it in action.

-T

17. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

I am very interested in the same type of trailer. It sounds like you may have a C717 model which I am looking at as well. If you use the break frame I don't think you will have issues with springs for a long time. I am going to put anti-seize on the bolts before I ever load my boat on it. That way I can replace things with little effort.

Frank_S

18. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Sitting here in a nyquil induced buzz, I hate being sick,
    so pardon me while I meander a bit here...
    Break frame trailers are old school. I don't remember
    anything but break frames for hulls in the 50's and 60's.
    Why do you think magic-tilt was called magic-tilt?
    Funny that break frames are no longer in their line-up.
    The convenience of being able to balance the hull over the axle,
    pop the release, and watch the hull put itself in the water
    was simply the way it was done. It wasn't until the era of
    deep vee trailerable hulls that float-ons became the norm.
    Couldn't drop a deep vee in the water at a normal ramp
    had to get that baby way back from water's edge
    just to have enough water to float it.

19. firecat1981

Well it should be in by wednesday. It's the C715, only difference from the C717 is it has the 1500lbs springs instead of the 1700lbs. Honestly I would have gone with a 1250lbs if it were an option for a softer ride since my rig is so light. I'll let you know how it works, when I actually use it.

20. firecat1981

I picked it up today and now have some work to do.

The bad. The girl who ordered it was rong, it does not come with a posi lube axle, just a standard so I bought some bearing buddies, not a huge deal. She was also mistaken about them having a swing tongue kit in stock, so I stopped by outcast on the way and bought one. The trailer lights are pretty bad, they are standard cheapo's and you can barely see them when they are lit up. I already planned to upgrade them back to LEDs when the first bulb blew, but looks like I'll do it sooner, again not a huge deal just wish I could deal with it later. Lastly, which is no fault of TA mahoney's, but someone in the continental factory can't read his tape measure. I kept thinking my mirrors need adjusting until I looked at the axle when I stopped at home depot. The thing is like a full inch crooked so it's pulling hard to the right. Really not a big deal and will take just a minute to fix, but a PITA none the less.
    So in the end I will need to upgrade my lights and make some adjustments.

The good. The trailer is much lower then my last one. It doesn't have a torsion axle, but it comes from the factory with the springs under the axle so it sits like 3 inches lower already. Couple that with the tilt feature and the bunks can damn near hit the floor. The bunks themselves are pretty long and will work nicely. It also has 3 adjustable keel rollers which is great and will work since I'll have a transom saver. I'll see about posting some pictures later on.