Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I’ve been stalking this forum for a while, and love it! Figured I’d jump in with my first question, and it’s a big one- need to make a purchase decision.

First, the main purpose of this boat, as many micro skiff fans want, is to explore inshore areas I couldn’t get to before in SWFL, and ease of use for solo missions...just post up as quick as possible to cast out, without a lot of hassle.

Currently debating between 2 boats in great condition - a 2012 C. Skiff JV 15 with 25hp Suzuki 4-stroke (80 hrs), and a 2013 JVX 16 with 60hp Merc Bigfoot (64 hrs). I’m worried the JVX will have much worse draft with that hoss of a motor...but the flat bottom is better for the lift it will be put on. It’s also in MINT condition, with every bell and whistle for fishing installed. Anyone know overall the ride / draft in general of JV vs. JVX?

Just looking for opinions on the 2 boats in general, if anyone has experience with both! Would love any feedback...thanks!

·
BBA Counselor
7,230 Posts
They are honestly almost 2 different classes of boats, but will probably draft within an inch or 2 of each other if balanced well. They are wide and flat, and not super lightweight so I wouldn't plan on poling much, if you run a trolling motor you wI'll be fine. The little v on the jvx will be worth gold on windy days. I've also not met many guys who kept a J series for very long, they usually get tired of the ride and hull slap.

Is there a reason you want a CS? So many options out there these days.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi everyone! I’ve been stalking this forum for a while, and love it! Figured I’d jump in with my first question, and it’s a big one- need to make a purchase decision.

First, the main purpose of this boat, as many micro skiff fans want, is to explore inshore areas I couldn’t get to before in SWFL, and ease of use for solo missions...just post up as quick as possible to cast out, without a lot of hassle.

Currently debating between 2 boats in great condition - a 2012 C. Skiff JV 15 with 25hp Suzuki 4-stroke (80 hrs), and a 2013 JVX 16 with 60hp Merc Bigfoot (64 hrs). I’m worried the JVX will have much worse draft with that hoss of a motor...but the flat bottom is better for the lift it will be put on. It’s also in MINT condition, with every bell and whistle for fishing installed. Anyone know overall the ride / draft in general of JV vs. JVX?

Just looking for opinions on the 2 boats in general, if anyone has experience with both! Would love any feedback...thanks![/QUOTE

Just looking for opinions on the 2 boats in general, if anyone has experience with both! Would love any feedback...thanks!
Out of those two choices, I would pick the JVX 16 because it is much more boat and will ride better, and the draft difference between the two will be minimal. The reality is that with these boats, your actual draft is 6-8" but you don't need to worry about being able to draft in under 18" or so because you won't be able to fish much shallower than that with a trolling motor.

I tried putting a poling platform on the CS JVX that I used to have, and it was a huge waste of money. These boats are great as a barge and to fish either drifting or with the TM, but they are not for poling. If you want something you can pole and get into super shallow water, you need a poling skiff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are honestly almost 2 different classes of boats, but will probably draft within an inch or 2 of each other if balanced well. They are wide and flat, and not super lightweight so I wouldn't plan on poling much, if you run a trolling motor you wI'll be fine. The little v on the jvx will be worth gold on windy days. I've also not met many guys who kept a J series for very long, they usually get tired of the ride and hull slap.

Is there a reason you want a CS? So many options out there these days.
It just seems to be the best bang for your buck skiff in my area. I’ll find a better skiff with an awesome setup, but the motor is old / rebuilt / etc.

Definitely open for suggestions on other brands, though! If I could pick anything, 100% Beavertail Mosquito....but nobody ever seems to let those go haha.

Thanks for the input!

·
BBA Counselor
7,230 Posts
Nothing necessarily wrong with a CS, just know what your buying. There is a reason they go for cheap and are plentiful on the market. If you are ok with spotty fit and finish, and prepared to reseal everything after you make sure there isn't any wet foam, then it can be a good useful boat for many years.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If those are your only 2 choices... JVX. I had one for three years and it was all around a good boat. Very stable, but sensitive to weight distribution without tabs. It will beat you to death in any chop/rollers/bay crossings, but it does honestly draft sub 6” if it’s not water logged. We used to pick mine up and over oysters to get into/out of creeks on occasion. The caveat, you will not keep it long and wish you got a boat with more of a V entry.

I don’t know what your budget is, but I’d look into Salt Marsh/Ankona for a better ride and similar price point. I really like the Heron, for what it’s worth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If those are your only 2 choices... JVX. I had one for three years and it was all around a good boat. Very stable, but sensitive to weight distribution without tabs. It will beat you to death in any chop/rollers/bay crossings, but it does honestly draft sub 6” if it’s not water logged. We used to pick mine up and over oysters to get into/out of creeks on occasion. The caveat, you will not keep it long and wish you got a boat with more of a V entry.

I don’t know what your budget is, but I’d look into Salt Marsh/Ankona for a better ride and similar price point. I really like the Heron, for what it’s worth.
Thanks for all the input!! Yeah I love the Ankona’s

·
I Love microskiff.com!
224 Posts
About $10-12k
Plenty of options in that price range if you're willing to wait and search. Silver king 16, old hewes, old maverick mirage, occasionally you'll see a beat up hpx-t for that price, old dolphin super skiff, maverick micro. Even a pathfinder tunnel would do ok for what you want and they come up well below your price range.

Don't be afraid to put some work into a good older hull. Have cash ready and be willing to drive when you find something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will admit, I am AWFUL at exercising patience, especially when it comes to the prospect of getting on the water .

Super similar to CS, but any opinion on Mako Pro Skiff 16? A nice one just posted today.

Definitely always trolling for others....my partner and I are looking for minimal fixer-upper options (other boat is getting to that level, ain’t nobody got time for 2 of that)

·
BBA Counselor
7,230 Posts
The proskiffs are better then the CS imho. The inverted V / Texas sled design will run a bit smoother. They did have quality control issues in the earlier models, so be sure to look over everything well.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,075 Posts

Just looking for opinions on the 2 boats in general, if anyone has experience with both! Would love any feedback...thanks![/QUOTE
To answer your question, I've had both
JVX
Or
Like everybody else said, skip it and get a better made boat

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,075 Posts
The answer to your question is
16 jvx all day long
Or
Skip it and go to a better built boat
I had both of those
Ok starter boat, but u will end up upgrading and prob lose money

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi All!

Thanks so much for all the input, these are some seriously informative members! I had to give y’all an update - we went to look at the JVX 16, and it could have passed as a new boat! At the price we paid it was a deal, and super happy with the decision. This is going to be a great knock around, before I feel comfortable upgrading to that Maverick . Bringing some great luck so far - landed a little teenage tarpon on my first solo outing!View media item 4822View media item 4824View media item 4820View media item 4826

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,075 Posts
Hi All!

Thanks so much for all the input, these are some seriously informative members! I had to give y’all an update - we went to look at the JVX 16, and it could have passed as a new boat! At the price we paid it was a deal, and super happy with the decision. This is going to be a great knock around, before I feel comfortable upgrading to that Maverick . Bringing some great luck so far - landed a little teenage tarpon on my first solo outing!View media item 4822View media item 4824View media item 4820View media item 4826
Enjoy

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Hi All!

Good plan! Use the hell out of it, decide what you like and what you don't. That will go a long way toward helping you figure out what you want in your eventual upgrade skiff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts