Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Fly-By-Night
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Batson Rainshadow RX7 9' 8wt 4pc. Read some decent reviews but what's the consensus view around here on these blanks? Bought it on eBay.

Thinking of putting it together to use with an Abel #3N I recently picked up.

Appreciate any input.

·
Who Dat
1,740 Posts
Batson Rainshadow RX7 9' 8wt 4pc. Read some decent reviews but what's the consensus view around here on these blanks? Bought it on eBay.

Thinking of putting it together to use with an Abel #4 I recently picked up.

Appreciate any input.
I fish the Revelation, RX8 and about to build an Eternity2.

I think they are on par with the top names in the business. The RX8 and RX9 are top of the line blanks. Gary Loomis is now working with Batson on design. The Revelation is the new RX7 with new design. The Eternity 2 is the new RX9. The RX8 has been discontinued.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bay, I just realized I made a mistake in my first post. I'm planning on matching it with an Abel 3N not 4.

I'm wanting to put together a 7wt for smaller reds, maybe I'll look into that Eternity blank.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Thinking of putting it together to use with an Abel #3N I recently picked up.

Appreciate any input.
I built a saltwater 6wt on an RX7 blank about 5 years ago. I pretty much haven't used any other rod since then.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'm going to try and keep it light and simple as possible, but durable. Maybe some Ti recoil guides.
Do any of you guys have a picture of that blank?
I'm trying to decide what color to use on the wraps. I'm thinking a metallic hunter green with a small (maybe 2 wrap) silver or gold trim band top and bottom. Or a dark red (burgundy) with silver trim bands...... Any thoughts?

·
Fly-By-Night
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've followed your work a bit & it looks like good work. I thought they discontinued that blank?
I was seeing some of the RX6 models on eBay earlier. Maybe BayStYat can comment on how they compare. This one would be about $50 with the shipping...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rainshadow-...555264?hash=item43ed179800:g:o9kAAOSwqbZXE~6C

BayStYat do you have any pictures of what those RX7 blanks look like?

I've looked on some of the rodbuilding forums but didn't see much that helped me get an idea of the finish.

·
Who Dat
1,740 Posts
I was seeing some of the RX6 models on eBay earlier. Maybe BayStYat can comment on how they compare. This one would be about $50 with the shipping...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rainshadow-...555264?hash=item43ed179800:g:o9kAAOSwqbZXE~6C

BayStYat do you have any pictures of what those RX7 blanks look like?

I've looked on some of the rodbuilding forums but didn't see much that helped me get an idea of the finish.
The Revelation is a slate finish. My instagram is @southlandflyco. I have a few finished Revelations I built for @flyshopco

·
Fly-By-Night
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Revelation is a slate finish. My instagram is @southlandflyco. I have a few finished Revelations I built for @flyshopco
That's the guy from Blue Ridge Ga. I need to fish with him, my wife and I have been vacationing there for a few years now, and are likely fixing to buy a place up there sometime in the near future.
Great looking rods man, I really dig the wood inlay.
What part of MS you from I've worked Chevron Pascagoula several times. Pulled a few juvi reds outta that marsh by the plant I think it's called Bangs lake, when we didn't have much going on too LOL

·
Who Dat
1,740 Posts
That's the guy from Blue Ridge Ga. I need to fish with him, my wife and I have been vacationing there for a few years now, and are likely fixing to buy a place up there sometime in the near future.
Great looking rods man, I really dig the wood inlay.
What part of MS you from I've worked Chevron Pascagoula several times. Pulled a few juvi reds outta that marsh by the plant I think it's called Bangs lake, when we didn't have much going on too LOL
Yes Will Taylor @flyshopco Biggest trout in the south and in the interior of the US. I am from Diamondhead/Bay St Louis area. shhhhhhhh be very quite about that area, its a secret.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Blank arrived today...
Will have to get it assembled and give it a whirl before I have a solid opinion, but so far I think this is a great blank for the money. The finish was nice, gloss green translucent. I stuck it together and the action felt pretty nice, all the ferrules felt and looked nice with good lockup. but I'll have no real determination until i get to cast it and try different lines on it.

It felt pretty light, so I decided I should weigh the blank, it ended up being about 2.35 oz, scale was bouncing between 2.3 and 2.35 but for the sake of measurement I'll call it 2.35, as a comparison that ends up about.....

.4 oz heavier than a TFO BVK
.475 oz heavier than a Sage Method/Salt
.13 oz lighter than a TFO TiCrX
(per website stated weights)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.