Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am in the habit of cleaning up after others while out on the water, islands, or at the boat ramp. These people that litter don’t deserve to enjoy the outdoors.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,561 Posts
What a shame.

We have a place on a very public beach in TX, and its a disaster during the summer months...diapers, glass, fast food bags stuffed with all the dollar menu wrappers, piles of beer cans jammed between the granite boulders.

I can usually fill up a trash bag or two before my kids start fighting over a smashed sand castle - which is pretty quick.

There's a great group of people involved in a local non-profit that hand out trash bags to everyone that comes. You get some snarky remarks from people who are insulted by the gesture, but whatever, some are grateful and end up walking around and filling up the bag you gave them.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
What a shame.

We have a place on a very public beach in TX, and its a disaster during the summer months...diapers, glass, fast food bags stuffed with all the dollar menu wrappers, piles of beer cans jammed between the granite boulders.

I can usually fill up a trash bag or two before my kids start fighting over a smashed sand castle - which is pretty quick.

There's a great group of people involved in a local non-profit that hand out trash bags to everyone that comes. You get some snarky remarks from people who are insulted by the gesture, but whatever, some are grateful and end up walking around and filling up the bag you gave them.

I was going to say. If they think it is bad there, come to Texas. I know resources are tight for a lot of coastal towns, but one thing I have noticed in the Surfside area is that a good number of people ATTEMPT to use the waste containers that are put out up and down the beach, but it the summer they are overflowing and the wind scatters the trash everywhere. They need bigger containers, more frequent pick ups or something.

Reactions: karstopo

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't know what has happened over the years, but people these days are WAY more inclined to just leave on the ground whatever trash they generate whether they are on the beach or at the fishing launches or any other public spot. Clay Banks in the Brazoria National Wildlife Refuge got closed to shore fishing and kayak launching because of the filth the shore fishermen and kayakers left behind. Are these people not able to connect the dots? Do they like looking at dirty diapers, beer cans and other garbage on the ground? Our beach has garbage receptacles every 100-200 yards and hardly anyone makes even an effort to use them.

What's the solution to this trash being left behind epidemic? I've yelled at a couple people I caught red handed dumping their trash out of the car. So far it has worked out for me and I haven't gotten shot at or anything, although, one guy claimed it wasn't his trash, he was just picking through it. Do we create a trash picking up army that keeps it all clean? Create a public information media campaign?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I don't know what has happened over the years, but people these days are WAY more inclined to just leave on the ground whatever trash they generate whether they are on the beach or at the fishing launches or any other public spot. Clay Banks in the Brazoria National Wildlife Refuge got closed to shore fishing and kayak launching because of the filth the shore fishermen and kayakers left behind. Are these people not able to connect the dots? Do they like looking at dirty diapers, beer cans and other garbage on the ground? Our beach has garbage receptacles every 100-200 yards and hardly anyone makes even an effort to use them.

What's the solution to this trash being left behind epidemic? I've yelled at a couple people I caught red handed dumping their trash out of the car. So far it has worked out for me and I haven't gotten shot at or anything, although, one guy claimed it wasn't his trash, he was just picking through it. Do we create a trash picking up army that keeps it all clean? Create a public information media campaign?

That's a shame. My parents were very active volunteers there and at the SBNWR.

G

·

Maybe people in "Community Service" could be mobilized to do trash pickup? The trash that each person picks up can be weighed and their sentence could be reduced based on those weights?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Maybe people in "Community Service" could be mobilized to do trash pickup? The trash that each person picks up can be weighed and their sentence could be reduced based on those weights?
We do see this in Texas along some of the state highways. I don't know why it couldn't work elsewhere.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
341 Posts
I know it's rare to actually catch someone in the act, but when it does happen the fine should be in the $1000s to send the proper message.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I took this picture in a city park no less. Part of the problem here I’m sure is that there are lots of big rental houses in the area. There can be 20-30 cars at each house on s busy weekend and I’m sure not adequate trash bins. What do you think happens after the raccoons and birds get in it? And if you're the one having to clean up the trash to be able to dump the container, wouldn't it be easier to put more and bigger containers and just stay in the truck?

2EBC61F8-9142-4A3B-8945-98AC7AE499A2.jpeg

G

·
I took this picture in a city park no less. Part of the problem here I’m sure is that there are lots of big rental houses in the area. There can be 20-30 cars at each house on s busy weekend and I’m sure not adequate trash bins. What do you think happens after the raccoons and birds get in it? And if you're the one having to clean up the trash to be able to dump the container, wouldn't it be easier to put more and bigger containers and just stay in the truck?

View attachment 111996
Tragic! Your last sentence should be a no brainer for the trash haulers?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
A few low life’s can really mess a place up. I won’t comment on the types I think leave the most trash. I’ll leave it up to you. Eventually they will close Haulover land fishing.
https://www.wesh.com/article/trash-...ritt-island-national-wildlife-refuge/30505779
I'll comment on it. I would love it if they closed the bank of Haulover to fishing. They leave all the trash there. And some of them are, as the words you use, pretty low life. One time I was coming back to Bair's Cove and I was in the center of the canal when a guy cast on me and it landed 6 inches from my boat. Needless to say, we exchanged some not so pleasant words. And there were fisherman on both sides of the bank. That is why I was right in the middle of the canal.
On other occasions, I have been known to sit on the dune cross over at the beach by my house and when someone is leaving and leaves their trash, I will challenge them by saying very politely that they forgot something. They usually say, "Oh thanks." And then they realize I meant their trash. Every one but one, embarrassingly went back and picked it up. The one who didn't, got pissed but there were a bunch of young surfer dudes hanging out that kind of backed me up by telling them not to come back and park there again, or they might not like the condition of their car when they are finished at the beach.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts