Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,905 Posts
This may seem unconventional and for some ungodly but years ago I took a two piece T&T blank and turned into a one piece. It served me for many years catching Stripers in the surf/boat that is until my son got hold of it and killed it.:rolleyes:
I have considered this, but I think the only advantage is the reduced risk of breaking at the ferrule. I think you might have a similar result using hot-melt glue or even tape, so that you'd have that advantage without the permanency. I think all other characteristics would feel like a 2 piece rod, right?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have considered this, but I think the only advantage is the reduced risk of breaking at the ferrule. I think you might have a similar result using hot-melt glue or even tape, so that you'd have that advantage without the permanency. I think all other characteristics would feel like a 2 piece rod, right?
Yes. You’d still have the weight and “dead” spot. Really just all the disadvantages of each IMO.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm not good enough to determine those "characteristics". The rod was a cannon with a 350g head. I could easily throw a bulky 5" Baitfish pattern 70'. I know it worked very well for many seasons. Hooked and landed a lot of fish on that rod..

·
Registered
974 Posts
An obvious advantage of joining rod pieces together is they won’t come apart when they shouldn’t. It is one (or 3) less parts to fail. I have cast 1 pc side by side with 4 pc and ‘felt’ the difference, but without doing that I’m not sure that I would. I prefer 1 pc rods for simplicity and the fact that the ones I have are very good. Dang shame that Loomis is no longer making the CC Pro 1.

Reactions: sjrobin

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,905 Posts
An obvious advantage of joining rod pieces together is they won’t come apart when they shouldn’t. It is one (or 3) less parts to fail. I have cast 1 pc side by side with 4 pc and ‘felt’ the difference, but without doing that I’m not sure that I would. I prefer 1 pc rods for simplicity and the fact that the ones I have are very good. Dang shame that Loomis is no longer making the CC Pro 1.
This is one reason I've considered doing what @Vinny L did, but with a hot melt glue or something that's only semi-permanent. I would love to have the confidence to never feel the need to check my ferrules. The "feel" of a multi piece rod doesn't bother me; I'm not an elite caster and doubt I could tell the difference unless I cast them side by side like you said. If I ever damaged the rod, I could still break it down for shipping if I didn't want to get it repaired locally.

Has anyone tried any semi-permanent techniques like this? Sorry if this is too far off the original point of the thread.

·
Registered
2005 Gordon Waterman 18'
190 Posts
There's a 2 piece Scott Sector that looks pretty interesting.

·
Registered
257 Posts
This is one reason I've considered doing what @Vinny L did, but with a hot melt glue or something that's only semi-permanent. I would love to have the confidence to never feel the need to check my ferrules. The "feel" of a multi piece rod doesn't bother me; I'm not an elite caster and doubt I could tell the difference unless I cast them side by side like you said. If I ever damaged the rod, I could still break it down for shipping if I didn't want to get it repaired locally.

Has anyone tried any semi-permanent techniques like this? Sorry if this is too far off the original point of the thread.
You can try Tip adhesive. I know a heat gun will soften it up to re-separate. I've changed multiple tips over the years on all sorts of rods. less is more with that shit though!!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
65 Posts
I have five one piece rods from Biscayne Rod which are made in Miami Florida. They are a great custom rod maker. It makes it easy for me since I also live in Miami so it's an easy choice.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The Forth Fork Composites (Gary Loomis) 1 piece blanks in 8,9,10, and 12 wt are the best rod blanks I have ever held. Look no further. I have been replacing my NRX Pro-1's with them as I finish them.

·
Registered
Capt Parker D
278 Posts
The Forth Fork Composites (Gary Loomis) 1 piece blanks in 8,9,10, and 12 wt are the best rod blanks I have ever held. Look no further. I have been replacing my NRX Pro-1's with them as I finish them.
Hows the action on those? From their website it doesn’t look very fast

·
Registered
262 Posts
It’s a lot faster than advertised.
It’s a cannon. Definitely has some tip flex but that just helps with the shorter fast shots.
I cast the Psi better than any other NFC blanks, in the wind.

Reactions: Flyboy

·
Registered
Shadowcast 18
144 Posts
Favorite 1 pieces rod I've cast lately is the Zane Pro 8wt. I haven't looked to see if they offer them in shorter lengths. Favorite just under 9' fly rod is easily the 8'4" Scott Meridian in 8wt. It's a 4 piece so that may or may not scratch your itch. St Croix makes some shorter fly rods for bass but again, I'm pretty sure they are multi-piece rods.
I bought the Zane pro and replaced all of my rods with it, absolutely incredible rod

21 - 37 of 37 Posts