Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody besides Hardy and G. Loomis still making them? I've fished several one-piece rods over the years and I've absolutely loved them. I know the transport can be an issue but these would basically live on the skiff. Several years ago I got to fish a prototype Scott Meridian that was a 1-piece 9wt. I think it was like 8'8" or 8'10". Capt. John O'Hearn in Key West had it and it was a badass rod.

Anyway, I can't even find companies making one-piece blanks for pretty situation specific rods. I'm thinking
  • 7wt that's in the 8' range sort of like the old Loomis Shore Stalkers for the very frequent chip shots in the marsh at reds
  • 9wt in the 8'6"-8'10" range, also for the shorter shots but at the big bull reds & monster drum I chase in Louisiana.

Not really a "need" for either but how much of our gear do we truly need?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,694 Posts
Favorite 1 pieces rod I've cast lately is the Zane Pro 8wt. I haven't looked to see if they offer them in shorter lengths. Favorite just under 9' fly rod is easily the 8'4" Scott Meridian in 8wt. It's a 4 piece so that may or may not scratch your itch. St Croix makes some shorter fly rods for bass but again, I'm pretty sure they are multi-piece rods.

Reactions: Feltonard

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering about that Zane. I've got the ProAxis-X in 8wt and ProAxis in 12wt. But they're both 4-piece.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Unfortunately the 1 piece rod days are getting closer to being over. The market for them isn’t very profitable for companies. I plan on holding onto all my one piece rods for as long as I can.

Reactions: TX_Brad

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately the 1 piece rod days are getting closer to being over. The market for them isn’t very profitable for companies. I plan on holding onto all my one piece rods for as long as I can.
I wonder if you could take a light action 7'6" spinning rod blank and make a fly rod?

·
Registered
859 Posts
As for the 1pc they are getting slim but I do love the Hardy Zane Pros. North Fork still produces 1pc fly blanks. As for the light spinning rod into fly, I have done it with a few different blanks and it does ok but it is hard to get the same performance you are used to in a high quality fly rod.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Gloomis quit making their one piece rods. It’s just a matter of time before hardy does the same. The shipping cost is astronomical. I have heard great things about the new gloomis 2 piece tournament rods.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,907 Posts
I wonder if you could take a light action 7'6" spinning rod blank and make a fly rod?
I tried to look into something similar a while back -- lots of people asking about using fly rod blanks for UL spinning duty, but not the other way around. I'm curious to see what you find out. I have a 2 piece 8 ft crappie "float-n-fly" rod that got me thinking about it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Gloomis quit making their one piece rods. It’s just a matter of time before hardy does the same. The shipping cost is astronomical. I have heard great things about the new gloomis 2 piece tournament rods.
They still make the CC Pro 1 in 10&11 wt only. The NRX one piece is a thing of the past!

·
Registered
292 Posts
They still make the CC Pro 1 in 10&11 wt only. The NRX one piece is a thing of the past!
It wouldn’t suprise me if that rod is soon discontinued or they are just selling through old stock. I’m honestly surprised that the IMX pro1 exists as well (it’s a sweeettt rod) but it’s a newer model so I guess they don’t want to discontinue it so soon.

·
Registered
833 Posts
It wouldn’t suprise me if that rod is soon discontinued or they are just selling through old stock. I’m honestly surprised that the IMX pro1 exists as well (it’s a sweeettt rod) but it’s a newer model so I guess they don’t want to discontinue it so soon.
Yea I have a couple pro 1 in both NRX and CC as back ups. In my opinion there’s no better Tarpon stick than those two. Close behind is the Hardy 1 piece.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A buddy has a 9wt 8'10" Hardy Zephrus in a one piece and I love that rod. They don't make them anymore, but would assume the Zane Pro would be just as good if not better.

·
Registered
412 Posts
A buddy has a 9wt 8'10" Hardy Zephrus in a one piece and I love that rod. They don't make them anymore, but would assume the Zane Pro would be just as good if not better.
Agreed, I've got the 8 and 9 Zephrus in a one piece and love them

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,577 Posts
Does Mud Hole sell 1 piece fly rod blanks
I'm interested in 1 piece fly rods. My friend Ron Hickman makes them

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,577 Posts
Does Mud Hole sell 1 piece fly rod blanks
I'm interested in 1 piece fly rods. My friend Ron Hickman makes them

·
Registered
Mitzi 17’ Tournament Sea Borne 21’ Bay
142 Posts
My wife got me the Hardy Zane Pro 9wt for Christmas last year. It has quickly become one of my favorite rods.

·
Registered
260 Posts
This may seem unconventional and for some ungodly but years ago I took a two piece T&T blank and turned into a one piece. It served me for many years catching Stripers in the surf/boat that is until my son got hold of it and killed it.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts