Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Hey guys, you're better off posting this on the Fly Fishing Forum here on microskiff, for more thoughts and advice on the subject. Also, this subject has been re-hashed many times over the years. So you can do a "SEARCH" once on that forum and input the subject into the field for lots of results..

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, you're better off posting this on the Fly Fishing Forum here on microskiff, for more thoughts and advice on the subject. Also, this subject has been re-hashed many times over the years. So you can do a "SEARCH" once on that forum and input the subject into the field for lots of results..
Sorry man, Mods could you lend a hand and move to the Fly fishing section?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wish I could travel with them. I only have an NRX Pro-1 in 8 Wt. Don’t ask why but I found myself fishing for Albies in 120’ with only that one piece rod. Got lucky and the fish were running on the small side. The way that NRX performed that day fully convinced me. Getting another one piece rod as soon as I retire something else in my arsenal.

·
Registered
183 Posts
"Inconvenient Performance", that how were described to me once. I have two (and want two more), and love them. They cast much smoother than a four piece, and are more durable. If you are someone that goes from garage to skiff then skiff to garage with your fishing tackle then they can be great to have (most rods are broken during travel not actual fishing). You can just hang them on the wall with reel mounted and save your self sometime. I consider them a second rod of a weight, and would always buy a four piece first because I like the ability to travel with rods.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If you are someone that goes from garage to skiff then skiff to garage with your fishing tackle then they can be great to have (most rods are broken during travel not actual fishing). You can just hang them on the wall with reel mounted and save your self sometime.
This is how I am the majority of the time. House>skiff>house. I don’t own any 1 piece rods but I would like to get a 10wt knowing it will ONLY be a skiff rod.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,813 Posts
I have one in a 12, but, sold my 8W version. They cast very differently in some cases. I would test the rod you want to make sure you like the one piece version. In the case of the NRX, the 8W one piece and 4 piece are totally different rods.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have one in a 12, but, sold my 8W version. They cast very differently in some cases. I would test the rod you want to make sure you like the one piece version. In the case of the NRX, the 8W one piece and 4 piece are totally different rods.
What is your opinion on the eight wt 4 pc versus the one piece?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
the 1 piece were much better to me in 2 different weights I directly compared - nrx 4 piece versus nrx pro 1 - can't remember to describe the difference specifically - but I remember thinking they felt vert different and I liked the 1 piece much better

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
FYI - the one piece rods are 2" shorter than the 4 piece rods. I tried the one or two piece (can't remember) of the scott meridian - and liked the 4 piece better. With loomis I liked the pro 1 better than the nrx 4 piece - but thought the asquith smoked them both - it is only available in a 4 piece, though. I think the advice earlier is to try the specific rod and weight you are interested in.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have Hardys and they too have a different taper then 4 piece brothers, like the one piece tapers a little better, but I have a zenith and pro axis. I don't think they changed the tapers on the Zephyrus rods when they moved from pro axis to Zephyrus for the one piece rods (definitely for 4pc though)

I can't envision a scenario where I would ever need a one piece.
I used to work at Pure Fishing so having a discount on these definitely influenced my purchase. I would agree, to me it is more a luxury.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts