Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was by the glass shop last week due to an inadvertent altercation between my poling platform and engine cowling. Anyway, I came across this little gem. The shop is in the process of installing the pressure treated stringers and a fuel tank mounted in the floor between the stringers. What really intrigues me is the lip where the sponsons meet he transom. It looks like someone previously installed sponsons on a 16' whip. Is that the case, or is this something I've never seen before?
IMG_1643.jpg
IMG_1645.jpg
IMG_1646.jpg
IMG_1647.jpg
IMG_1648.jpg
IMG_1649.jpg
IMG_1650.jpg
IMG_1651.jpg
This is not my boat, I don't know the owner. Please don't comment on how absurd this setup will be when completed. I know!!

B

·
0 Posts
Ok, I know ya said not too... but it was a cool skiff that had some value to it. Wood in a Hells Bay? Just wow.

Somethin does look off about those sponsons to me though. Hopefully one of the HB gurus can chime in and educate us both!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
244 Posts
Not commenting on the setup. I'll just say I would run from that shop and find a much better one!
I completely agree with Firecat, but I'd be screaming for my life as I ran out the door. These guys are clueless. Double pressure treated pine 2x6's, seriously, are we framing a deck, and absolutely no way to properly bond them to the hull and glass them. Run very fast!

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Glad I’m not the only one. Sounds like time for an intervention, i’m in
In my next breath I say ,don’t kill the man ,he’s trying to get on the water the best way he knows how

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
@Boneheaded might be right. Otherwise you are going to have your knees in your face sitting on those boxes now.

Texas tags on the trailer. TX Registration on the hull. TX numbers on other boats. I assume this is in TX.

Reactions: Boneheaded

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,974 Posts
Double/double bottom, a new trend. That some fine looking high tech construction going on fer second floor, pine construction stringers n frames. Too much high tech now anyway, back to da basics.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
959 Posts
Is there any chance they're using that framing to keep the hull from warping while it's being stripped down and rebuilt?

As for those sponsons and the rolled edge, all I can say is, "WHY LORD? WHY?"

1 - 20 of 75 Posts