Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
542297F6-595C-4983-B077-9F1E21768C4A.jpeg Ok, so I am looking for some inspiration for a few new redfish patterns. So if you had to only pick one fly to fish for redfish what would it be, and what conditions do you normally fish in.

My one fly of choice would be a “crabby rabbit”. My personal fly usually size 4 hook, Purple rabbit strip tail with flo orange rubber legs with a black rabbit fur body spun on a dubbing loop trimmed flat on the bottom with beadchain or small lead eyes eyes and a double mono weedguard.

I fish this fly around Brunswick GA’s flood tides through low tides, and I get fewer refusals with this fly than anything else I am tying. Average conditions are low visibility"dirty/stained water", Spartina grass flats, mud flats, and oyster strewn creeks. Fishing inches to about 3ft of water.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
I dig it. I'd like to have something different for low and high tide fishing, but if I had to pick one it would be very similar to what you just posted. Black and purple for sure. I would probably like slightly bigger, maybe a #2 or #1 hook. A "flowy" material like rabbit or craft fur for the tail, and either an EP brush or deer hair for the head to push a little water.

edit to add -- this is for SC lowcountry. Usually pretty dirty water. I'd like to go smaller in the winter, but I fish more in the summer so if I had to pick one only, it would be more geared toward summer fishing.

·
Registered
473 Posts
View attachment 110468
A slight variation on Seth’s original post. Any dark, buggy, crabby fly. Reds seem to eat anything presented well enough - but watching them nose up to a crab and crush it is pretty marvelous.

A Gurgler would be a very close second.
This my fly most of the time with different colors to match water clarity. Actually picked it from you. Been loving it ever since

·
Registered
472 Posts
Probably a size 4 olive redfish crack. Seems to check the boxes of redfish here most of the time. Is it a shrimp or a crab or a fish, I don’t know, let’s bite it and see. A3BBD649-EE57-4A82-BF3F-5D8A94C46A1C.jpeg

A size 4 tan or olive borski slider is a close second. Either redfish crack or a borski slider can get refusal after refusal like they both did on last Saturday’s outing, but a size one chartreuse and white gartside soft hackle streamer got gobbled up by every redfish that saw it. The fish make the rules, I just try to keep up.

I fish next to and near to living oyster reef/mud-shell mixes more than anything. Occasionally, flooded marsh and cord grasses. Once in a while over submerged aquatic grass and bare packed sand mixes. Depths, mostly 2 feet or less.

·
Registered
168 Posts
View attachment 110382 Ok, so I am looking for some inspiration for a few new redfish patterns. So if you had to only pick one fly to fish for redfish what would it be, and what conditions do you normally fish in.

My one fly of choice would be a “crabby rabbit”. My personal fly usually size 4 hook, Purple rabbit strip tail with flo orange rubber legs with a black rabbit fur body spun on a dubbing loop trimmed flat on the bottom with beadchain or small lead eyes eyes and a double mono weedguard.

I fish this fly around Brunswick GA’s flood tides through low tides, and I get fewer refusals with this fly than anything else I am tying. Average conditions are low visibility"dirty/stained water", Spartina grass flats, mud flats, and oyster strewn creeks. Fishing inches to about 3ft of water.
Great fly.
If I was forced to use just one pattern for Lowcountry reds, it would be very similar to this..

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Glad you dig is Smack, it should be forsale commercially in fly shops or online here in the next 3-6 months as it one of my patterns that has been picked up by Montana Fly Company.
Awesome! I let one of my clients take one he used to smoke redfish for three days straight and he was supposed to tie me a bunch but nothing yet...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts