Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ll be in Duck Key just north of Marathon from about the 12-17th of December. Any suggestions on what I could do for a day of fishing? I plan to hit some spots around the resort on paddle board and maybe some early morning wade spots. I’ll probably get a day to grab the car and go anywhere from KW to Biscayne with a guide. I’ve fished KW several times and Biscayne once. Any suggestions on heading south to KW? Other lower Keys? Stay around Marathon/Islamorada? Key Largo? Biscayne? Can I shoot over to the Everglades from Islamorada?

Edit: trying to figure out the one full day with a guide.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's a lot of options to choose from. Wind and water temps will dictate what you species you'll be focusing on with a guide. If you really want bones and/or permit go Lower Keys or KW. If you want a grab bag of snook, reds, snapper, juvie tarpon, trout, go with a guide out of Islamorada. They will take you up to the Everglades.

As for paddle craft aspirations, I usually keep them low if you don't know the area well or the weather is crap. Around Duck, I'd focus on slinging cuda tubes or waxwings for big cudas on the flats. Pinch your barbs for easy release. If you have access to the board around/after sunset, you can fish docklights for tarpon.

·
Registered
834 Posts
You’re in a good spot. Plenty of options, if I can be of assistance please let me know. I guide from Islamorada to Biscayne Bay. You can run to Everglades National Park from Islamorada without an issue. Fishing has been great in the park lately. Feel free to shoot me a text or a call if you have any questions. 954-684-2705

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ll be in Duck Key just north of Marathon from about the 12-17th of December. Any suggestions on what I could do for a day of fishing? I plan to hit some spots around the resort on paddle board and maybe some early morning wade spots. I’ll probably get a day to grab the car and go anywhere from KW to Biscayne with a guide. I’ve fished KW several times and Biscayne once. Any suggestions on heading south to KW? Other lower Keys? Stay around Marathon/Islamorada? Key Largo? Biscayne? Can I shoot over to the Everglades from Islamorada?

Edit: trying to figure out the one full day with a guide.
By yourself there are few options. A few are: Bahia Honda, John Pennecamp Park, No Name Bridge, Sammy’s Cut at the end of Sugarloaf Blvd on Sugarloaf Key.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts