Older trucks..

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SClay115, Nov 16, 2010.

1. SClay115

SClay115 Throwin' loops

So I think I'd like to get myself a truck, or an SUV. The Volvo tows okay, but I am tired of dealing with the lowered suspension and 18" wheels while rambling down a crappy dirt road to launch the boat.

So, I have always loved those 70's, and 80's trucks, when they were like two rectangles on top of each other. Just classic lines. Browsing on Craigslist, I see a few real cheap Chevy C10's. Now, I am not sure what it is, but those things look fantastic.

I like simple, I'd be happy with crank windows, caveman suspension, and even carb'ed.

You guys have any experience with them? This would be my first truck, and I'd use it daily, but think of it's main use role of being something I am not afraid to get a little dirty, or even a little roughed up.

Also, any other suggestions? I'd like something relatively cheap, super easy to work on, with fantastic parts availability.

Steve

2. out-cast

out-cast Well-Known Member

I have an 84 C10 diesel. Automatic and power everything. I wish it wasn't full power because by the time I replaced the switches, window motors, etc.... I had spend a little coin. Parts are easy to find new and used online. The only thing I'd be concerned with is rust. I bought mine as a project and have been building the frame for years now. Either not enough time or not enough money ;D I plan on it to lay rocker on airbags when it's complete....if that ever happens. When my son turns 16 in 10 years it will be his problem ;)

3. cvilt

cvilt I Love microskiff.com!

Don't be particular just be patient and find a good one. I love trucks but my favorite build was a 79 F250 4x4. Stripped it down and rebuilt it. Came with a 400m and when I blew that one up LOL I put in a 460. Ran like mad. 18 gallon gas tank and 6 mpg( because I couldn't keep my foot off the floor). I miss that truck.

4. SClay115

SClay115 Throwin' loops

Yah, I can see rust as being an issue. However, save for any structure cancer, the whole goal behind getting something like a C10, would be just to have it be a bit of a rat. Most every vehicle I owned, I was predisposed to be careful with. Whether it was rare, or just in great shape for it's age. I did however, own this POS Chevy Spectrum, and it was really just a tin can with a little Isuzu turbo motor in it. But I'll tell you, I had more fun in that thing than in most of the other cars I owned. Why? Because I didn't feel bad about beating up on it a little.

So the truck, or whatever I end up with, wouldn't be for show, just for utility. I just want something that can take a bit of abuse, and not have me wincing in the driver's seat when I have to roll down a washed out road.

Out-cast, that is the V8 Detroit isn't it? Buddy of mine has one in a Blazer. Diesel would be great, but it seems like they are very rare compared to gasoline, and the rarity seems to go along with the price tag unfortunately...

Steve

5. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

I have owned a lot of Chevy trucks over the years and if I had the space, money and time I would redue my 1986 CJ7. I loved that Jeep 4x4 had two tops keep her as a tow unit and toy till 1993 when I needed cash for a down payment on my first house. Trucks are nice but the Jeep was FUN !

Just my view...

6. swampfox

swampfox 01 Hells Bay Guide.07 ECC LOSTMEN-sold

Get you a Toyota T100 ext cab or Tocoma. I have a F250 crew cab 4x4 diesel now but miss my T100 all the time. If you get a Chevy get a old one back when they gave a sh*t. I owned a Z71 for a while. After the second 400r tranny let loose on me it became someone elses headache. I put 280k miles on the 2 Toys without ONE issue. But I needed a bigger truck so it was back to a Ford -going strong with 192k miles on original drivetrain. Knock on wood ;)