Old wood Penn Yan hulls

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brett, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Didn't know that Penn Yan was such an old company
    and built so many interesting hulls, including early hydroplanes
    take a look at the hydroplane link middle of page...

http://glenphotos.com/boat/boatindex.html

Penn Yan also made some classic car toppers, in there too, a little further down

Quite a list of hulls over the years

http://dragonflycanoe.com/id/pennyan.html

I'm still looking for the perfect hull lines... ;)

2. luckovertme

luckovertme I Love microskiff.com!

i cant wait to get some pics of my 1926 penn yan hydro and share the build process with you guys! and those car toppers are pretty damn sweet

3. luckovertme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJH24Y3_Y9c&feature=related

not the same hull as mine but funny video. how bout some hurdles at the next shallow water challenge? ;)

4. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

That was a cool video. Thanks

Can't wait to see those build pics...

5. luckovertme

my dad finally sent me pics of our new project. as if i dont have enough. it is a 1928 Penn Yan Ceestepper. The world speed record by boat was 20mph in 1928, this hull was first to have step hull and sponsons which set the new speed record to 40mph. evolitionary at the time!!! the old guy in pics is the previous owner. who hasnt touched it since he raced it in the 1950's average race speed of 50-60mph. he included the "speed" prop which got his personal best to 70mph with only a 20hp Martin outboard. in 1950 this was an old boat but he was very competive in his class.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i will start build thread when it begins but this will have to be a long time build as my dad is reuilding a Lotus, Bugeye and a Vette, and i have my Jeep engine to reuild, my johnsen skiff is dying for some decks and its winter which means i am busy at work with the bombers.

6. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

cool video and those pics are awsome keep us posted on any progress

7. luckovertme

got these slides from the previous owner of when he restored the boat in 1950 something and set up to race it. i have not worked on the boat yet but have checked it out in person finally. this thing has some sexy lines to it. my dad has all the canvas stripped off of it and repairing some cracked and rotten wood. he also got the motor free'd up and turning over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]