Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got a 15.5 foot canoe for free. It was really-I mean REALLY-beat up, but thought it could be a good project. Structurally, the sides have sagged and are flimsy. There are holes, some rot, and serious fiberglass degradation. I was thinking of squaring off the stern for a 2.5 outboard.
My question is do people think this would be worth the time and money? Or do I scrap it?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Mostly Harmless
2,196 Posts
First, is it actually fiberglass? That bow looks like it might be something like the 3-layer polyethylene that Old Town uses. I don’t think you can fix that and the only real option would be to trash it.

If it is fiberglass, anything is possible. Do you have a emotional connection to it? Do you like having a project? Do you love resurrecting things from ashes? Do you want to learn to fiberglass?

You’ll end up cutting out half the canoe to remove compromised areas. It is not cost or time effective to fix, but it also isn’t that terribly expensive simply because canoes are so small.

Also, you’ll end up with a flat back canoe. There is nothing wrong with that unless you really wanted something else and delude yourself into believing that a flat back canoe can fill the void. You have to want a canoe.

If it is actually fiberglass, I’d do it because... ...oh, f*** it. I am also an idiot, so don’t take anything I might do as a rational course of action.

Nate

·
I Love microskiff.com!
245 Posts
So I recently got a 15.5 foot canoe for free. It was really-I mean REALLY-beat up, but thought it could be a good project. Structurally, the sides have sagged and are flimsy. There are holes, some rot, and serious fiberglass degradation. I was thinking of squaring off the stern for a 2.5 outboard.
My question is do people think this would be worth the time and money? Or do I scrap it?

Thanks.
I'd say skip on this one. You can pick up used canoes all day long used for a few hundred bucks. you'll spend a lot more than a few hundred bucks between cloth, resin, primer, paint, sandpaper and other supplies, paddles, seats, etc. etc.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I restored this 1947 Shell Lake square-stern canoe a few years ago. It had significant rot in several places. I also had to replace the transom, scarf and replace the gun whales, etc. Two things I can tell you for certain:

- when doing a restoration, expect to find hidden problems as you dig into the project

And

- don’t think you’re gonna knock this project out in a weekend. I worked on this resto for a few months, got burnt out and stuck it in the barn. Fast-forward a couple of years and I finally finished it up.

Good luck.
876FFB9C-D471-4164-AFEC-E603E634FF21.jpeg
03943D12-BC30-419A-A5C3-41995AA7208E.jpeg

Reactions: yobata and BB FL

·
Registered
702 Posts
It will be a lot of work.. changing the rear to a square stern is not a simple cut here and add transom...

Decide is you want a project or a canoe. if you are up for a good project go for it but it will take quite a while to finish that one, if you really want a square back canoe you can buy a used one for less than $500.00. I think I sold my last one for like $250.00.

I have an old fiberglass kayak, a really good paddling kayak, that is in need of restoration and some repairs, far better shape than that canoe, I just can;t seem to get around to it... but after having to move and secure it for this storm threat I think it will be going to the project for sale list chaep very soon.
I look at it like this in good condition its probably worth $700.00 to someone looking for that specific type/brand kayak, or a good used ocean paddling/fishing kayak, as is maybe worth $100.00. To restore it there are several dozen hours of fiberglass work, sanding, filling, sandinh and a good 2 part marine paint required. It would look really good again, paddle great, but I'd put way more than $500.00 into it in labor and materials.

·
Brandon, FL
10,934 Posts
First, is it actually fiberglass?
That canoe is built with a heavy gelcoat, some mat and 1 layer of 20 oz roving. This was a purpose built canoe. The whole thing might weigh 30 pounds. This was not built as a general recreational canoe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts