Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
49847ABD-126F-436B-B13A-CA613E702990.jpeg
21554782-E403-4FE5-8F27-D6987B6D3E69.jpeg
Posted this over in classic corner as well as general but looks like this might be the better spot. Anyways......

I have the opportunity to get the boat I learned how to fish on that was my grandfathers. It is a 16’ 1978 Kingfisher. I want to restore/modernize the boat a bit. My plan is to remove the seats, rod locker and bench in front of console and add a bench and storage in the back like a skiff. Also will extend the front casting deck. My question is this, how would something like this pole? I realize it’s not going to be a hells bay but would it pole good enough. Seems like it would be ok as it should be light enough. Trying to decide on whether I just open it up and fish it or if a poling platform would be worthwhile. Thanks for any input youcan offer!

·
Brandon, FL
10,929 Posts
I can't answer all of your questions for you but here is what I can tell you with certainty.

You can make your grandfathers boat into anything you want but it will never be a great poling skiff. But who cares unless you plan on pushing all day.

The other thing I know for certain is that you need to get rid of that jet ski immediately or we will put you on the black ball list!

·
Registered
260 Posts
My first opinion on the poling platform is to look for used platforms and modify the boat to the platform rather than get a custom one made. While you look for a platform, remove the front seat and throw some carpet coated plywood on the deck and fish it. See what works and doesn’t work before you dive all in. You might discover some things you like and don’t like. Balance is big in poling so you can work that out as well.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,001 Posts
Another boat i used to own, fished n hunted Venice, la. N Louisiana marshes. Had a Mercury 402 manual engine, well built hull. Cloth n balsa core construction...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts