Off shore/near shore fishing boat

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tojo, Nov 3, 2009.

1. tojo

tojo Well-Known Member

Okay I'll start the thread...

I am interested in fishing offshore/near shore. I'm talking about off the beaches for Tarpon, cobia etc.

I want a boat that can do that on a decent day, but also can get around the lagoon (does not have to be ultra skinny) I'm mostly a mullet chunker anyway.

Of course, the boat must have the two "ables" affordable and comfortable.

I like the Panga, but my wife would like something less spartan. I'm thinking a center console in the 19-21 foot range.

What suggestions to look at for a boat???

2. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

What is your honest budget?

3. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Well that put what IMHO is the best boat for your requirement out of the question; 18 Egret.

There are several options that come to mind. An older Mako 17, Panga, You might find an older used Pathfinder Bay Boat for close to that money.

Roto7777 would probably have some good ideas too.

Cheers.
    Capt.

4. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

I had a 2002 18ft Keylargo center console with 90hp mercury 2-stroke and I fished up 60 miles offshore and fish in all over intercoastal flats in 12" of water. My boat takes 1-3ft chop like I'm riding in a caddy car and rides so damn smooth!

My boat loaded with T-Top, garmin GPS/depth finder, electronic box, VHF radio, livewell, 80lbs thrust MK bow mount trolling motor, 3 storge compartment and magic tilt trailer...I mean loaded loaded for $15,200 BRAND NEW. Nothing fancy

This boat never let me down after all the abuse I put into it. Tops out 38 MPH with 13" X 17" powertech 4 blade propeller.

It's perfect for 2 adults and 1 kid but a family in the boat is kinda tight.

if I were you I will look for 21ft bayboat with 150hp like Kenner, mako, bluewave, key largo or whatever for decent price for more boat. It's perfect for family of 4 for a 21ft bayboat.

Too expensive in your price range like coastal bay, shearwater, pathfinder, and blah blah....but..if u can find used one like that then u might find one in decent price.

Good luck in your seach Tojo!

5. tojo

tojo Well-Known Member

good info so far. I appreciate it!

6. phishphood

phishphood Beer is good, Beer is good, and stuff!

Let me know when you need somebody to make chum. ;D

7. tojo

tojo Well-Known Member

Can't I just cut the kids behind the ankles and let them swim around for a bit ::)

8. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member

so who is this boat for, you or your wife?

and who is Jim-fix-it?

9. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

There's been a few Hewes LT20's around for sale. WELL under your price range.

The Light Tackle hull is basically like a 20' flats boat, but with more freeboard/higher sides. More rough water capability. They were built specifically for inlet and beach fishing for the crowd who likes the uncluttered flats boat layout.

TONS of storage capacity. The underseat storage alone is so big you could crawl in there and still have room left over.

The boat is incredibly stable at rest, no "tippyness" here!

With a 175 on it, it'll do 54, and I've seen a lot with 200's and 225's if the need hits you.

I haven't spent a TON of time on mine since I've picked it up, but I can say it's suprising. The stuff that would absolutely beat the heck out of me in my old 16 red this thing just cruises over without a shimmy. You'd swear you're doing 25 until you look at the GPS and realize you're at twice that speed. Very stable boat.

Check around, you'll be suprised what you can find them for. If you need a wet test, shoot me a PM.

-T

10. brew1891

brew1891 Well-Known Member

good info so far.

If you want safely run the beaches and then still be able to fish the lagoon somewhat effectively I think you are really limited to three styles: either a panga style boat, a large flats boat (21' Master Angler, Hewes 20LT), or a bay boat.

Or you could get a more offshore worthy boat and then find a cheap bare bones tiller gheenoe for the lagoon.

11. tojo

tojo Well-Known Member

Yes.

Let me know if you need Jim to "fix" something at your house too ;)

12. tojo

tojo Well-Known Member

Good info! This is the kinda specific info I was looking for.

Brew, I do still have a Gheenoe at the house ;)