Off road parks and dune buggies

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by firecat1981, Feb 2, 2012.

1. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

This is obviously way off topic from fishing but since a lot of you guys live in this area I figured I would ask. I just got back from a cruise where we went on a dune buggy trip and it was freaking awsome! Some of the most fun I have had in years. Here's a video of our adventure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egszm_neczs&feature=youtu.be

On a fishing related note, the caves were loaded with talapia.

So now I'm all fired up to maybe buy a dune buggy of my own someday, I've always wanted an old sandrail or meyers manx dune buggy.

My question is, does anyone know of a good, legal, place to go offroading in central florida? I live in Lakeland so as close as possible would be great. I read about a county owned park they were making south of mulberry but can't find any info on it after late 2010. I'm not looking for anything nuts, just a cool place to zip along some trails. Thanks.

2. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Gonna be tough.. Lack of places to ride is why i sold all my 4 wheelers :(. Theres river ranch, but u gotta know somebody or own property there, and im not sure if they allow dune buggies.

3. firecat1981

I can get into river ranch, and if I couldn't you can get lots in there for as little as $500 right now. Theres a mud hole people tell me about next to it too, but it's about an hour away from me. There has to be a bunch of places around here to go, I see guys towing there mudding rigs and 4-wheelers all over the place.

4. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

For off road riding you have dirty foot adventure park not to far away from you. They allow dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, side by sides and not sure about manx dune buggy but definetly not a vw rail buggy. You also have croom at 50 and 75 they only allow dirtbikes and 4 wheelers. I spend almost every saturday in croom riding. I grew up with vw rail buggies and we use to take them up to ocala national forrest. You can still ride ride up there its just getting stricter every year. Vw rail buggies are a ton of fun if you get it street leagal. Just jump in and take a ride cheap to run and way to much fun.

5. makin moves

My old rail, built it myself mid engine 1835 I miss her bad :'(

[​IMG] These are my toys for croom and dirtyfoot

[​IMG]

6. firecat1981

I definitely want one that is street legal, that's why I'd like to find a place close by cause I'd rather not have to take it on the highway :eek:.

I can't believe you sold that think, it is beautiful! when you say you built it, do you mean the frame and everything? If so good job cause it looks slick and has great style. I don't understand why a place would allow a side-by-side but not a rail. Our polaris at work weighs about the same and can tear up some dirt just the same.

7. makin moves

It was bare frame built it up from there. Had just finished the buggy had about 8 grand into it then I wrecked on my street bike and almost killed my self 5 days in the icu. Had to sell the rail, was out of work for a while. I wish you didnt bring this subject up, because Iam looking at craigslist at rail buggies now ;D Iam running out of space for toys other wise I would have one right now plus I bought a house a few months back :p

8. makin moves

Look for a 4 seater, fun for the whole family

9. firecat1981

Sorry to hear all that. Well I don't really have the cash for one right now, but I too have been looking on craigslist, and I see I can get one in drivable condition, or some dang near mint, for 2-3k. Or I have seen a drivable project for as little as $1200. Looking online the parts are so cheap compared to other vehicles (ie if I wanted to build up a jeep or truck...) it's hard to resist.
    I'm not as extreme as you anymore, I know my skills on motorcycles are severely lacking (3 street bikes, and 3 wrecks) so I have been sticking to 4 wheels for a while, except for peddle power. But I figure I can get into something cheap like this and see where it takes me. Kinda like how I got back into boats, started back with a $300 gheenoe, and now I've build 2 custom boats :-?

I'd love a 4 seat, but that really is out of the budget now. I could always buy a 4 seater frame later on and swap over my parts.

10. makin moves

If you ever get a chance stop into Fisher buggies right by TA Mohoneys off of 60 the have all kinds of parts and a few buggies. Great place to get some ideas. What ever you do buy one ready to go. Like you said there are some good deals on cl from 2-3 k. Just like building you boat all the goodies add up quick next thing you know your 5k plus into.

11. firecat1981

I've been looking at the fisher buggies site lately, that's where I saw the 4 seater frame for I think $900 welded. I didn't realize it was near TA Mahoney's I may need to stop by.

12. makin moves

be carefull its like a kid in a candy store :)

13. firecat1981

I can imagine, I can spend hours at Ta's, but I'm trying to back slightly away from my boating addiction because it's becoming very hard to find time to fish and catch the conditions and tides right with the distance I have to travel. I can off road any time of the day and a quick 30 minute trip is satisfying, where I would need to spend at least 4-6 hours on the water to make it worth it.

I contacted dirty foot and they won't let me in even with street tires. Kind of BS if you ask me since a rail would do much less damage then a lot of what they run. However I did find info on the off road park in south polk, it's frozen awaiting funds, but it is going to happen. I'm willing to bet Mosaic ends up kicking in some money since they are building an outdoorsman type resort a few miles away from there.

http://www.polk-county.net/cipprojectdetails.aspx?type=park&id=15722

14. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

My father and I use to run his buggy out in Clermont years ago. Not sure of the exact spot but I will ask him about it to see if he has any insight. He had a Corvair Spyder motor and it took added weight to keep the front wheels on the ground. Man that thing was a blast. I think you might have just opened a can of worms on this one ;). This topic has my wheels turning...

15. firecat1981

Hmm, I think with the engine in the rear and no weight up front, plus no real weight at all, it wouldn't make a very good tow vehicle. Otherwise I would suggest we all go buy one, and then have a Sand-n-Surf weekend somewhere. :D

16. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

you still got this one E :D
    [​IMG]

17. makin moves

of course I could never sell that baby :)