Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a Suzuki 20 for my 1444 build coming down the road. What is the smallest, lightest battery from Odyssey I should be looking at? I'm only using it to start the motor; no lights or bilge. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I use a PC1100 to crank a yammy 60 two stroke. It also runs everything but the TM and it's never given me a problem. I'm betting you could get away with something small like a 625.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
1 replacement. Never pull started. However during cooler months I do charge and crank at home before making a trip if it has sat. Key word sat. Tends to turn over slow if not. Once charged and motor started it is normal from then on. All day and months unless you let it sit again. Basically if it sits, maintain it. If you use it there is no difference warm or cold

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Before you do any buying.... talk to your Suzuki dealer and find out what the owner's manual says about battery size... Then at least you'll know if whatever battery you're looking at meets minimum standards for that particular model....

·
I Love microskiff.com!
147 Posts
For a odyssey Battery I wouldn’t use anything smaller then the pc535. If you wanted a little more you could use the pc680. It compares to a jet ski Battery.

Now my question. Why a odessey battery?

The pc680 is 15.4 lbs and is rated at 170cca

The Interstate FAYTX20HL is 15.7lbs and is rated at 310cca.

They are a similar size. I favor interstate and can get you a discount in central Florida.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the thing. I had an Odyssey in my ShadowCast 16 and it was the size of a book. I'm going for light and small. The battery will be housed in the tiller console so space is tight. I'm open to other options.

Reactions: Travisloyd07

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'll toss in two tidbits, for what it's worth.
First: I've heard from folks in the industry, on more than one occasion, that Odysseys aren't the battery that they used to be. I have no personal experience with them myself, and am unqualified to assess the truth of the matter, and have no affiliation with any battery manufacturers or vendors. Just passing on what I've heard, so you can look into it yourself -- if you care to.
Second: Make sure the battery you choose won't damage the starter on your outboard. I have no idea what your starter requires, but I have seen starters damaged (caveat -- in automotive settings, not marine, although I'd guess the performance parameters are similar if not identical) by batteries that would turn them over, but were unable to provide the requirements of the starter over time. I'm pretty light on electrical smarts, so I don't know how all that works, but it's something you may wish to look into -- or not.
Not looking to start a fight with anyone, just offering up what I've heard in hope that it helps you make an informed decision.

·
Registered
107 Posts
57C4615D-7818-451C-A2DD-6DF21AC1318B.jpeg
I’ve been using a 925 for 2+ years in my 144 w/ a merc 20.runs my navigation/cockpit lighting,live well,usb and cranking.comes in a lil heavy but never had any problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts