1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
0B346666-0389-472A-B438-5846EBD7A735.jpeg

the X is roughly where we’re staying.

47FAC372-BA0F-4D83-B7CE-E65E586A95EE.jpeg
We’re renting a house on the ocean side for a week in July in Salvo. I would like to bring my 17’ skiff but the only public ramp I can find is at Oregon Inlet. What are your experiences with this ramp and how fishable is the area around there with a 17’ skiff? I would like to fly fish but will also have the spinning rods on board. I have fished the south side of the inlet 10yrs ago but I’m sure things have changed. Also I noticed there are some ramps in the surrounding neighborhoods but not sure how they feel about me using them? Any advise on any ramps would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I lived out in that area 2 years ago and I do believe Oregon Inlet is the normal spot they everyone public put in at. Its not a bad area and the fishing has been great this season. Get some fresh shrimp and have fun. You should be able to get on some Sheepshead, RedDrum, and Trout. You can also surf fish that area for some Flounder, Pompano and bluefish. The water will be warmer by that time so Pompano should be in the area. Good Luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We stay in Avon on a canal so i put my solo skiff in behind the house. Theres a wide sandy spot you might be able to launch if you have four wheel drive just north of Avon on the sound side. Also think there is a launch back in old Avon Village but may be fee based.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I lived out in that area 2 years ago and I do believe Oregon Inlet is the normal spot they everyone public put in at. Its not a bad area and the fishing has been great this season. Get some fresh shrimp and have fun. You should be able to get on some Sheepshead, RedDrum, and Trout. You can also surf fish that area for some Flounder, Pompano and bluefish. The water will be warmer by that time so Pompano should be in the area. Good Luck.
Are there any hazards to look out for near the inlet or is it mainly sandbars?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We stay in Avon on a canal so i put my solo skiff in behind the house. Theres a wide sandy spot you might be able to launch if you have four wheel drive just north of Avon on the sound side. Also think there is a launch back in old Avon Village but may be fee based.
I’ll check it out. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If your gonna fish around the inlet be careful. Dont know much about it i fish the old mail run canal tat runs from Salvo to Avon on the sound side. You can see it on google maps. The darker water thats just offshore. Ill try to upload it and show you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts