Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Obsessed with Redfish

5693 Views 67 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  david.riina
why o why do you haunt my dreams you lazy orange catfish!
why is florida flats fishing so fun.

sighting fishing for striped bass just aint nearly the same :(

working on this thing until i get my hands on another redfish.
Fin Fish Seafood Ray-finned fish Fish products
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Registered
FS18 I BUILT
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I share the obsession!
the hunt for redfish cant be compared to much of anything. the striped bass fishing on the flats here is similar, but well bass are
Checked out your website and IG @david.riina - really beautiful work. What's the story behind your great looking boat?

View attachment 210852
thanks for taking the time out of your day to look at my artwork!

thats my FS18 from boatbuildercentral i built this past winter. i love it so far!
that picture was from some "testing" i had to do before i painted it up!

this is it all finished up.
Water Sky Boat Water resources Watercraft

· Registered
2009 Beavertail Osprey 60HP Suzuki
43 Posts
Yeah, hunting redfish with a fly rod has to be as addictive as it gets. I just got back from a 2 week trip in southern Colorado, throwing big dry flys at raising trout and it’s a good time, but it’s just not like strip setting a fly into a 42” bull red and hearing that reel sing as he makes that first big run. Beautiful painting. Can’t wait until this fall in the Marsh.

· Registered
FS18 I BUILT
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m in the Tampa Bay Area, hit me up if you’re down this way and I’ll take you to them. I fish from a Gladesmen so make sure you bring your sea legs!
I dont have much in life, but sea legs are one thing I got! im pretty sure my homebuilt FS18 is just a copy of a Gladesmen anyway. Knock on wood i have yet to fall off my poling platform, but im sure its coming! ill definetly let you know when im in that area....

I was born down in fort myers, most my family moved north when i was a kid, some stayed down there. I usually stay in that general area when i come down so tampa isn't so far.

· Registered
FS18 I BUILT
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fantastic artwork man...very talented! Bring one of those to Charleston and I'll help you further your obsession!
my wife has 2 cousins down there! we stopped there on the way down to florida in april and i was like wtf you guys can catch redfish at the end of your street! :) i might be down that way for thanksgiving...

· Registered
FS18 I BUILT
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yup watercolor. im self taught, i just painted a shit ton of crappy fish until i figured out my own method/ style. realism just happened as a bye product. i paint in oils too, but usually save the oil paints for larger scenes, not the fish illustrations.

· Registered
563 Posts
The scale detail is what sets it off. You really have to plan the whole thing with watercolor because the light colors have to go on first or just be left off. Using a small detail brush takes a lot of concentration and a steady hand. Really awesome work. I haven't picked up a brush in a while but I also work with water based mediums like watercolor and acrylic. A lot less forgiving than oil based. They dry much faster. You should do some prints if you aren't already.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts