Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

NRX vrs Helios III 10wt

1961 Views 31 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Treecutter
I have the option for either rod. Any thoughts on witch one?
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
Chittum LMII
30 Posts
I have both rods in 8, 9, and 10 wt. The NRX packs a bit more punch and definitely feels like more rod in the hand. It’s less forgiving than the H3 with typical bad casting habits. I have an 11 wt H3 and pulled on several 100lb tarpon last year with no complaints. I enjoy the NRX more, but the H3 has been a big hit with my clients since 2018. Beginners and experienced casters really like them. I’d the give the upper hand in the warranty department to Orvis. “IMO” as folks say around here…

· I Love microskiff.com!
31 Posts
Not even a comparison, NRX+S is one of the best rods ever made. Orvis should stick to making overpriced poor quality dog beds and leave the fly tackle to the professionals. Go cast both and you‘ll feel the difference and see the quality in the Loomis.
First of all the comparison was for the original NRX not the plus to the H3.
Second of all the NRX+S has only been out since 2020 and it’s “ The best rod ever” says you?
I actually love the NRX+ rods, however ultra fast rods aren’t for everyone, but I’m guessing you also have nothing but sealed drag reels as well??
The Orvis H2 and H3 rods are top 3 rods in anyone’s book if you’ve taken the time to cast them side by side.

· Registered
1999 HB Guide
688 Posts
Unpopular opinion but Im gona say it, the NRX is only an OK rod. Come to think of it, of the best fly fisherman i know, none of them throw the Loomis rods. You people who love the the NRX probably only buy Glocks. Quit drinking the coolaid and stop using google to buy “the best 8wt for saltwater’

· Registered
630 Posts
Not even a comparison, NRX+S is one of the best rods ever made. Orvis should stick to making overpriced poor quality dog beds and leave the fly tackle to the professionals. Go cast both and you‘ll feel the difference and see the quality in the Loomis.
Why do so many anglers use them to win permit tournaments?

· Registered
270 Posts
Sorry yes I still like the NRX better than the H3, or any Orvis rod for that matter. I think the original poster was asking for opinions on rods and I gave one. I have several Loomis rods, including CrossCurrents, GLX, NRX, NRX+, but I’m really a Sage guy. As for reels I like Tibor the best but I do have a Abel SDS that I like too! As for Orvis products in general, specifically fly tackle, dog beds, upland hunting clothing, you name it in my opinion it’s really gone down hill in the recent years. For all the Orvis lovers out there I’m glad you like the equipment, the warranty, the store, the catalog, etc. but I don’t. Isnt it great that we have all these brands to choose from which in turn makes the manufacturer have to keep improving.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Unpopular opinion but Im gona say it, the NRX is only an OK rod. Come to think of it, of the best fly fisherman i know, none of them throw the Loomis rods. You people who love the the NRX probably only buy Glocks. Quit drinking the coolaid and stop using google to buy “the best 8wt for saltwater’
Glocks suck, the geometry is more conducive to new and novice shooters, but pistols based on john brownings original design are far superior, think sig 226, hk usp. Gloomis are great rods, glx, nrx, nrx+

· Registered
181 Posts
I can't speak to the Orvis H3, specifically, but I've owned the OG NRX 10 weight for about 5 years so can provide a bit of feedback there.

It is an awesome rod, but it will tell you exactly how many cups of coffee you had that morning.

Very strong in the butt, soft in the tip, casts beautifully at all ranges and is crazy powerful. However, it also requires an experienced caster and very precise application of power. It took me a long time to cast it well.

I recently took it out to cast side by side with newer rods like the Sage Maverick, Scott Sector, TFO Axiom 2, T&T Sextant and the NRX and still much preferred the older NRX.

So if you're looking for one of the most precise, powerful rods out there, that'd be a good choice. I would imagine it's great in more technical situations, but would not be my choice for blind casting. For comparison, the NRX+ is more user friendly with a stronger tip.

Loomis rods are crazy durable, too.

Hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts