Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GLoomis NRX 8 weight 4 piece with rio flats pro (240 Grain Wt)- It is a good line but is very beat up after a year of use (only complaint on that line is its durability) and I am looking for a new line for an upcoming Bahamas Trip.

On the 4 Piece NRX 8 - have you found the rod likes a true line weight or to be slightly overlined? The Flats pro definitely feels a bit heavy on the rod but it still is a nice combo. I am thinking I want to try a line that is more true to weight with a longer head.

Ive been doing some reading and searching the forums - Found a few threads from years ago with a lot of praise for Wulff BTT on the 4 piece, but those threads were at least 4-5 years old.

Short List: Do you guys have any favorites for this specific rod?

-New Rio Directcore Bonefish or regular bonefish?
-BTT?
-Cortland Flats Taper Full Cear Floating? - I have this on another rod and am strongly considering it.
-Rio Flats Pro?
-Any of the SA Lines?

Will be used for Bones in the bahamas and spooky reds in IRL / Mosquito Lagoon

Thanks

-Stephen

·
Registered
733 Posts
A number of guys I know throw the Cortland LC Guide line on it and its slightly heavier at 225 but nothing like the Rio Flats Pro or Rio Redfish both in the 240-243. I have been fishing the Cortland Flats Clear on a number of different rods and line weights and I really like it and so have clients when they thow it for the first time. I know there have been some complaining about the Cortland and memory but I havent seen it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you go with the Flat pro consider the 7wt. It weighs 210 at 30' and 250 at full head so it is basically an 8 wt line.
The Rio bonefish line is a 1/2 size heavy at 225 for 30' and 320 grains for the full (50') head. Your current FP 8 should be 240 for the fist 30 and 295 for the entire head. If it feels heavy carrying the full head on your NRX then the full head of the rio 8 bonefish will be still heavier (albeit longer).
The SA bonefish lines are true to weight at 210 for the 1st 30'.......I'm unsure what the whole head weighs but I think they have a 40' head so it will presumably be lighter than the Rio 8 bonefish. (I have a mastery 8 and the whole head weighs 270.....the Amplitude is probably the same).
The Cortland is also 210 at 30' but has a 50' head (I think) and I'm unsure of its total weight.
The BTT is overweighted 1 wt and a short shooting head style line (their BTTshort has an even shorter head). It will weigh 243 at 30' but has no belly beyond that...........if you like your 8FP at 30' but it gets too heavy at the full head then this line would cast like the 30' of your FP but presumably shoot better. I've not cast one but from its taper it does not appear to be a line designed for using with a long carry like the bonefish lines you are considering.

I've been going through something similar only for a 7wt Exocett (currently using a 7wt FP). I think I'm going with the SA amplitude bonefish as a true to weight line that will allow decent carry and good presentations.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
I have a Rio Permit line on my 8wt NRX. It really seems to like that line. Maybe not the best for finesse but great for throwing larger flies or windy conditions.

Before that, I had an Airflo Ridge line on it. That line also cast well.

Reactions: nehlz

·
Registered
415 Posts
I throw an SA bonefish taper on mine and it is flawless.
Only line that doesn’t tangle on me.

I think this is a testament about a phenomenal rod when you get so many other opinions.

Other rods have to give recommendations on their websites on what line to try.

Cough cough ***idian....

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,698 Posts
I like the airflo ridge on that rod, but, it wears out fast. I'm trying out that liquid crystal stuff now. Also seems to cast good on nrx.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Im running the SA mastery redfish warm on mine. Seems to work well for quick casts and in the backwaters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts