Not so micro.... my latest (and biggest) project...

Discussion in 'Big Boat Bragging Spot' started by TomFL, Aug 16, 2010.

1. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Last Friday I went to Lauderdale to pick up my new ride; a 25' Sea Vee with a 250 OSX Yamaha on it.

I drove it home from the guy I bought it from, 70+ miles and it rode perfect. Cruised at 31-31mph in a sloppy 2-3 sea very comfortably.

The hull is a '94 and in perfect structural shape. Seems I'm a sucker for older hulls that are solid. I don't like the current trend of integrated brackets on the new boats, too hard to fish around and there's no cockpit space left.

The hull needs some TLC as it's been out in the sun for a few years. Cushions are shot and I'll need to do some mods to the T-top and leaning post to get them to my liking.

But it's a good, solid hull and a great start. I'll be going through all the electrical and bringing anything suspect up to date as always. She's been re-wired already and from what I've seen it's done right so it shouldn't need much.

The two things that sold me on this hull is that there is TONS of storage room and it's all below decks which leaves completely flat floors from bow to stern so there's nothing to trip over, or step up on.

This is the best offshore fishing platform I've ever owned.

She's got 6 storage lockers (3 on each side) that are 4' long each, a below-deck pill box for fish storage that me and you could get into together without bumping uglies, an anchor locker forward of that, and another anchor locker vertical in the front of the bow.

I found a great deal on a very nice Rolls Axle trailer to sit her on, and am really happy with it. It's built like a brick sh*t house, all stainless and AL construction, and very easy to adjust.

I've already started on re-doing the coaming bolsters with new naugahyde and new 2" foam, cushions are being redone by an upholsterer.

The bottom was painted many years ago and is in desperate need of either being re-done or stripped completely. Since I trailer it, it's going to be stripped tomorrow by a friend who I'm swapping some work for. I'll be painting the bottom with interlux's 2-part epoxy with teflon, a paint designed for this application that's as close to gelcoat as you can find. Bottom with be done in white and everything from there up will be rolled and tipped with awlgrip sea foam blue. New stainless rub rail should bring her up to date.

Then I'll turn my attention to making the in-deck livewell larger and adding a second above-deck livewell under the leaning post.

Will post pics as she undergoes the transformation so y'all have something other than Brett's infinately interesting and informative posts to read. ;) .

Some pics to start you off:

On the lift when I picked it up:
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the purple (WTF?) boot stripe which WILL be coming off and replaced with a black and gold leaf one after paint...
    [​IMG]

This is a shot of the same hull, but not the one I bought. Only shot I had to give you an idea of the fish box in the bow:
    [​IMG]

Last one of the "before" shots, showing dash and layout:

[​IMG]

I've got my work cut out for me, but she'll be beautiful when done. And a more seaworthy offshore hull I don't think I can find for twice the price!

2. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

nice :cool: should be a decent boat for chasing some offshore fishy's :D

3. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

Those are damn fine boats! Man I'm jealous! If you need a hand or just want a fishin buddy give me a shout.

4. CatchBravo

CatchBravo I Love microskiff.com!

Lovin the console and the t-top!! sweet boat! [smiley=1-thumbsup1.gif]

5. backwaterbandits

backwaterbandits Well-Known Member

VERY NICE Tom! :cool:
    Kinda like the one Jose had isn't it?
    You'll get her in top shape. Enjoy!

6. Tom_C

Tom_C Well-Known Member

Sweet [smiley=1-thumbsup3.gif]

7. FSUfisher

FSUfisher Well-Known Member

That's got me wanting a bigger boat now. The layout does look nice, as does the console setup. I don't think I've ever seen one of those motor covers before though. What's it for?

8. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Motor covers serves a couple purposes; it stops the engine noise from coming into the cockpit, and with a cutting board on top gives you a great place to cut chum/bait or rig baits. Also a great place to lean when it's rough and and you're catching baits.

Had one on a seacraft many years ago and would never want an offshore boat without one.

Some people hate 'em, I love 'em

-T

9. richwalker71

richwalker71 Well-Known Member

That is, for sure, one of the best hulls ever in that size range. Can't wait to see her when you're finished.

10. tguasjr

tguasjr Fish Finaddict

Congratulations, that is an amazing hull you got there. Sea-vee's are in my opinion one of the best boats out there. That motor cover also prevents the boat from being swamped in a following sea. I've always wanted one of those older Sea-Vee's.

11. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Thanks for the words guys, seems I've gotten a gem here. What sold me on it was the hull's reputation, solid build, the flat floor and the gobs of storage.

I had no idea the hull has the following it does. Everyone that's seen it so far has gone gaga over it, and a lot of them are old salts that have been in the biz 40 years. She's a dated hull design, but they don't make them like that anymore. Just like me I guess ;D

The hull is the original Rampone design, and from what I've read the contender hull and this were sisters. The partners split, one went and formed Contender and the other Seavee. I looked at contenders years ago and personally didn't like them, and looked again when I was in the market this time. For me, they just don't work. I wanted something as seaworthy as the 23 seacraft I had years ago, but with a flat floor and more storage. A buddy of mine had this same hull and motor setup about 5 years ago and the more I thought of what I needed in an offshore setup, this setup seemed like "it" for me.

-T

12. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

Tom, I will spend this weekend making room for all the extra Dolphin meat you will be giving out....

13. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Actually this boat won't be back in the water for a while; gonna spend some time on it modding it for the way I like to fish.

That'll take time and $$, and after just paying for the boat and trailer, I've got a lot more of one than the other... ;)

14. Canoeman

Canoeman Well-Known Member

Tom, love that hull (and the 23 Seacraft). You have great taste in boats.

15. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

The transformation has begun....!!

Here's a few more "before" shots of the hull and floorplan.

Bow area:
    [​IMG]

Bow storage hatches open; there are 4 more floor boxes in the rear, each 4' long!!:
    [​IMG]

This is a shot under the front console seat; I'm going to move the batteries, perko switch and oil tank rearward under the console and try to find a drop-in liner or better yet, make a new liner and foam it in to make this area an insulated cooler. This will give me a place to store food and drinks (last owner was using a cooler under the leaning post) and allow me to install a second, above-deck livewell under the leaning post.

[​IMG]

Stern area, here you can see two more of the 4' long storage areas on either side. Notice the coaming bolsters are beat, beat, beat from the sun:
    [​IMG]

A shot of the stern of the boat showing the engine shroud and cutting board on top. I'll be re-working this cover to make it taller so the engine can tilt up more with the cover closed (and also to bring it up to a comfortable level for working), and wider so I'll have more room to cut bait and rig lines.
    [​IMG]

Now for the updates; so far I've stripped all the electronics off the hull, and they sold quickly so I have some extra $$ to funnel into the project.

First, the console sliding door frame and new doors; I decided to sand and repaint the track using Krylon Fusion which is designed for vinyl and plastic as the tracks are not available anymore. The acrylic doors I lucked out on, as I was bringing them to the plastic place to buy new ones a buddy called me and said he can get them done at work... for FREE. So, they're off to work with him.

Old frame and acrylic:
    [​IMG]

Next up is the canvas on the boat; I'm going to re-do the coaming bolsters myself and the seat cushions/leaning post cushions will be going to a shop to get re-done. 

I got all the foam and new naugahyde from Gary's upholstery on Florida's left coast. He's been very helpful in guiding me to the best quality products at a good price, and giving me tips for help. Basically re-doing the coaming bolsters s like recovering your kitchen chair, which we've all done a million times.

One of the coaming bolsters off, this sucker is one piece bow to stern!
    [​IMG]

Old foam in strip, new foam in sheets. Plain old electric filet knife cuts the foam into strips, and 3m 77 adhesive pieces them together. Brass grommets along the bottom edge for draining. Tomorrow I'll have the one side done, but am still waiting on the welting for the top strip which won't be here for a few more days.
    [​IMG]

More updates and pics to come as the work progresses

-T

16. TidewateR

TidewateR will pole for food

looks damn good before the renovation! this should be good

17. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Have been able to work on the boat a bit here the last few days, coaming bolsters are coming along very nice.

Last night I finished up the stern pieces, here's a before shot:

[​IMG]

And here they are with new foam and recovered, complete with new welting as well. These are ready to go on:
    [​IMG]

Here's a quick shot of one updated coaming bolster in place, you can see the end is not finished till I make and fit the piece in the bow, as this hull did not come with one there. Also the welting is not on the edge yet.
    [​IMG]

This was not a hard project to do, an electric filet knife, grommet tool and brass grommets (for drains on the bottoms of the bolsters) and stainless staples is all it takes. Sharp eyes will notice I did not stitch the ends, which would have required I bring them in to an upholsterer, which would have added about $800 to my costs. Since they are going completely around the boat stem to stern, the ends will hardly be noticeable and figured that $$ would be better spent on other things.

Also I had a buddy hit the hull where he could with his commercial pressure washer. Biggest problem was it was on the trailer, so he couldn't get the best angle on it but he's removed about 60-70% of the old bottom paint on the sides, and even more on the stern which should make sanding it off a LOT quicker and easier. The boat is off the trailer now and on stands waiting for him to hit the rest of it this weekend. While it's off the trailer it'll give me an opportunity to recover the bunks and fit the boat on the trailer better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arcrylic is done for the console doors and I'll have that part done tonight; will post more pics.

This weekend looks like it'll be a sanding party at my place...

-T

18. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

Tom, that's a fantastic boat, well worth any restoration efforts. My best fishing buddy had one for quite a few years, "Gotta' Go" was the name. We spent many weekends fishing all over the place in that thing. One of our favorite trips was to run to Bimini to clear customs, then head north and sleep on board around Great Isaac's for long weekends fishing and diving, etc. It made more than a few nasty crossings with relative ease. IMHO that's just about the perfect sized offshore rig and still be manageable towing long distances when you want. I was very sad when he decided to sell it.  :)

19. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight, glad to hear more positive things about this hull. I fished on a buddy's for a week during a keys trip a few years back, so I knew I liked it.

Seems this hull has been pretty popular here in S FL, it'll be nice to get her out on the water again.

-T