Not my day. Almost ripped the engine offa me skiff. Long

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Unclebob, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Unclebob

Unclebob Well-Known Member

You ever have one of those days? It's been weeks since I've had a chance to go fishing, so I loaded up the little Mitchell and drove an hour to a new spot I've been trying lately.

The boat just did NOT want to come off the trailer. The rope kept getting hung up when launching, which has never happened.

Spilled my coffee all over myself and realized I forgot my bait net. A few more signs I should have stayed home.

Still, I headed out. 5 minutes from the ramp I'm trucking along, and decide to hop over a sand bar for a short cut. Water is nearly 1.5' deep at the sand bar and I've ran this way many times before without issue.

I hit something, and it knocks the tiller out of my hand and into the air. The boat goes into a hard turn and nearly tosses me. I get a good grip on the gunnels and go for the motor, which is now flipping around wildly on the back of the skiff, still doing doughnuts. I try to kick it out of gear but the lever does nothing, and the motor is jumping around like crazy, so I kill it.

I jump out and assess the damage. The lower mount bracket is busted, the shift rod in the lower unit is pulled out 3", bent at a 90 degree angle, and broken off from the shift rod.  :-[

I've got Sea-Tow, but I'm within a Mile of the ramp and have pole and paddle, so I head out. Pole/paddle to the bank and head back towards the ramp. Red's were busting Mullet on the back so I figured what the heck, caught some finger mullet, and decided to fish.

And then I caught every species of Shark known to man.  :mad:

I poled another Mile to the ramp, ratchet strapped the engine together, and headed towards the house.

On the bright side, I stopped by a friends on the way home and we went shrimping for a while, and we ended up filling my cooler inshort order, so the day wasn't a total loss.  ;D

So, here's the damage to the 2002 Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke. Broken right side mount. Broken lower shift rod, bent/disconnected upper shift rod, and 3 missing rubber snubbers. Parts are cheap, but the only thing that worries me is the shiftrod in the lower unit. It shouldn't be sticking out that far, and after straightening it back up, does not shift. And the shaft moves up and down a few inches and turns. Not sure how it connects to clutch yet.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

where i come from if your not breaking things your just not having fun  :D hope you get it put back together with little fuss  :)

3. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

There is a wishbone bracket that moves the shifting dog. (no clutch) It may just be pulled loose. I would check the drive shaft to make sure it is straight and replace the impeller while you have it apart. If there is very much time on the engine, now would be a good time to install a re-seal kit.

Frank_S

4. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

I have started wearing the kill switch cord. It may not have helped in this case, but good insurance.

Frank_S

5. Unclebob

Mark, breaking things makes me sad, I hope it goes back together with little fuss as well. I will say this, Tohatsu has a great online parts system.

http://www.tohatsuoutboardparts.com/

Frank, thanks for the insight. I'll pull the LU today and hopefully I can see the wishbone bracket you're talking about, and can get to it to replace/repair. I hope I don't have to open the LU. I have never done so before. The engine has probably 250 hours or so, and I will order an impeller as well.

After yesterday, I will never run without the kill cord. It scared the beejeezus out of me. I sat there in the water on the sandbar for a good 10 minutes just greatful I didn't get tossed, lose the motor, or worse. I was about to :'( and a pair of Porpi came up about 6' from me, blew, and about made me soil my shorts for a second time.

6. mark_gardner

of course i was only kidding about breaking things and having fun ;) seems like everytime i'm out i either lose or break something :( trip to the rally cost me a $80 transducer so i can definitely relate to your frustrations [smiley=frustrated.gif]

7. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

It seems that for the most part there are two types of boaters, those of us that always wear a kill switch because we have a story like yours, and those that don't wear a kill switch and don't have a story like yours...yet. I wear a kill switch now. Glad you weren't hurt and hope the damage is less than you fear.

BTW was you motor locked down? I've hit some things pretty hard but had the motor kick up.

8. Unclebob

The motor only locks when in reverse. It did kick up, and landed sideways, and I'm not sure if it caught the sand when coming back down, which broke the bracket, or if the initial impact did it. I've grounded the skiff trying to cross bars before, no biggie, and have also kicked it up running over logs and stuff. Nothing like this has ever happened to me. I was never grounded and never saw mud flumes, I could see the bottom fine. I was in over 18" of water, running. I've ran it skinnier than that.

9. Swamp

Weird. I wonder if someone threw in a cinder block or something. Sucks one way or another. Best of luck. Let us know what the verdict is on the motor.

10. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

Great attitude !!!!!!!!!!!!
    did not let it ruin your day--impressive

my k.i.s.s. method is never lock the lower unit down
    and no stainless props

and i do not recall why--and that s my story............................... ;)

11. Unclebob

Welp, been busy as heck lately and just got around to wrenching on the 'Hatsu.

Pulled the lower unit and the shaft is straight and true, so that's good. Pulled the water pump out so I could get to the lower shift rod. The shift rod pulled right out of the LU, and on the business end (bottom) is only a wedge that pushes between the clutch and bevel gear in the lower unit. I massaged it back into place and it shifts fine, so that's a relief. Nice design there. I was able to pull and straighten the upper shift rod. Pulling it and Getting it re-connected to the shift lever under the carb was a pain!

So, my list of parts needed are:

Lower Shift rod
    Right Side Lower Bracket
    5 Rubber Motor mount snubbers
    Assorted pins, clips, and bolts
    And an impeller.

Whew. I hope it goes back together as easy as it came apart. I can smell the anti-sieze now. ::)

12. Swamp

Hey that's great news! Probably still a few $$ but it could be worse. Check that wedge though, make sure it is not deformed. If it is you could have problems shifting.

13. Unclebob

The wedge wasn't deformed at all. The way it was designed allows it to pull right out of the gears without hurting anything.

Parts came in at under $100, which surprised me. And $25 of that was water pump, which it really didn't need. $15 for 3 days shipping from Japan. Really user friendly online parts ordering from Tohatsu!

Tried to order the parts last night using the credit card, and the wife busted me. So it looks like I have to wait 'till Thursday.

Damn Velcro Wallet makes too much noise. ;D

14. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it's working out for you.  I'll bet anyone could go through an entire box of bandaids learning about all the bad things that can jump up and bite you while you're towing down the road, on the water, or just trying to load up the trailer and get back home...  It will leave you with some good stories, though.  Many, many years ago I had a small micro (a 12' Wondercraft for anyone that remembers them) powered with a 9.5 Johnson.  I had a tiller extension that had a nasty habit of occasionally coming loose at odd moments while you were at speed.  That business of wide open and out of control isn't funny if you're the one in the rodeo...  I don't think they had kill switches back then for little motors (or I was too dumb to know about them...).

15. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Yeah, wear your kill lanyard!!! ;) ... Glad you weren't hurt, parts can be replaced.

All the talk about running shallow never hear anyone say it's dangerous, well here's your proof!

-T

16. Swamp

LOL! That reminds me about a joke involving kilts and sheep.... ;D

Tell the wife it's either this or a new boat!

17. Unclebob

Welp, ordered my parts from Tohatsu on Monday. Got them Wednesday. :eek:
    She went back together without issue on Thursday, and resumed her normal duty of shuttling me and the family to what the kids have dubbed 'Dinosaur Island', below. Our swimming hole. She's Running/Shifting as new and no bad vibes.

I love this little skiff.

[​IMG]

18. mark_gardner

she does have a cool look about her :cool:

19. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

[smiley=1-thumbsup2.gif] Nothing better than parts going together right the first time!