Not a microskiff, but my new baby

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jmarkklock, Aug 21, 2007.

1. jmarkklock

jmarkklock Well-Known Member

After I sold my DH-C, I started looking for a flats boat.  First of all, I secured an older basic highsider from my neighbor that never used it, so I still have a microskiff! (I don't think I will ever be without some kind of noe) At first, I was looking at boats like the ECC Lostmen and the older HB Waterman, the Gorden Waterman. All beautiful, perfect, world class boats.  After thinking about the fact that I fish the Jax area about half the time and frequently cross the confluence of the IC and ST Johns, I came to the conclusion I needed something a little bigger.  I started test driving boats used and new.  I decided i would save some money and buy used.  I tested a used Maverick 17 MA and fell in love.  The I tested a Hewes 16 Redfisher, fell in love again. Next was a mint condition early 90's Silver King, again I fell in love. A 2002 Ranger /BC 169 Ghost was tested next (BC decals but titled as a Ranger - It was the year Ranger bought Back Country). I decided this was the boat I wanted, but the guy sold before I got off work the day after I tested it. I decided I would wait until a found a newer but still used Ranger Ghost. A couple weeks later I found an 05 Ghost in Ft Myers with an 05 2 smoke Yammie with 39 hours. Came with a Ranger aluminum trailer with oil bath hubs and break away tougue. She's got trim tabs, jack plate, hydrolic steering, powerpole etc etc. I bought it from Ft Myers marine and Chuck, the owner treated me awesome!  I've had her out twice and could not be happier.  Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Congrats. It doesn't look very tippy but that is what you wanted ;D

3. jmarkklock

Not only is it not tippy, but it's a real b*tch to take the outboard off in the NMZ  ;D

4. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

Very nice, I hope you enjoy her every chance you get....That's what it's all about.

5. Garry

Garry Well-Known Member

beautiful boat!!!

6. JIMMYZ750

JIMMYZ750 Well-Known Member

That boat ROCKS!!! It looks fast standin still.

Bet shinerkillers kid would have a field day with all those buttons!!

7. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Congrats! Nice ride.

What was it about the Ranger that you liked over the MA, Silver King etc.?

Cheers

8. captnron

captnron Guest

Nice boat and still one of my favorites. Tried to buy one in 2000 but BC was sold to a bhass bote company that had dealers with anal bhass bote mentality. They though you had to put the biggest motor you could get on a flats boat and draft didn't matter. ::) Glad they didn't just fade away and showed up in the Ranger lineup. The Ghost is a sweet little boat. :cool:

9. jmarkklock

It's hard to pick any one thing, like I said, I loved the MA, the Redfisher, and the Silver King.  I'm sure I would be happy with any one of them.  When I compared everthing (how it poles, the ride, layout, finish, etc.) I liked the Ghost best.  My friend who was with we me testing all but the SK, liked the MA best by far.  So I can't say the Ghost is a better boat, it was just better to me. Your mileage my vary.