Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I would like some advice please from anyone willing to share. I take a couple days each winter to camp in the glades and do some inshore fishing. I have learned my way around fairly well and I have been quite successful some years and I've dialed in the redfish, trout and snook fairly easily in their normal haunts. I usually stick to the northwest corner of the park, putting in at Chokoloskee and camping anywhere from Mormon Key to to Hog Key. My question to the community is... can anyone help me target triple tail or small tarpon? Is it possible to catch these species in January with the right conditions? I have been all over from the outside to the way inside, but I have not caught a tarpon (or really seen any) and have only caught one triple tail to date in nine years. I am conservation-conscious and not looking to steal anyone's secret spot, I am simply looking for a starting point and some guidance on expanding my game plan. Thanks for any advice you can provide in advance, and in exchange I am willing to help anyone out with what I have learned down there, as well as the south shore of Tampa Bay where I live and fish normally. Tight lines.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Couldn't tell you where the small tarpon are. All we see/get are big girls through March!
Triple Tail, I think you are out of luck now that things are colder. More abundant in the summer time. I could be wrong on the Triple Tail.
Good Luck

·
I Love microskiff.com!
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be down that way the end of next week. Hopefully a nice warming trend will occur, as I understand that's what brings the tarpon in from the Gulf. The reason I was asking is I stay in the northwest area above Lostmans, but most talk I hear of tarpon is from Broad River to the southeast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts