Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving to RI towards the end of the year for two years (military move to Newport). Been doing quite a bit of reading about the area, but would like to hear from people that live up there and or fished up there. I have an East Cape Eve and plan on fishing a lot of the salt ponds and flats out towards buzzards bay and cape cod area. Anything would help at this point. Thanks.

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,555 Posts
I have a home on Martha's Vineyard and have also fished the flats on Chatham and Monomoy. When the conditions are right, the fishing can be like Bahamas Bonefishing - gin clear water and Stripers over white sand...very cool. Access and crowds are the big problem. Summer on the Cape gets crowded - especially weekends. Mid-week is the best to avoid crowds and traffic.

Having the skiff will give you plenty of options but again, weather dependent and you won't be comfortable fishing any of the big rips where the big girls live. A lot of guys in the NE fish at night and you can have incredible success fishing from shore with flies or artificials. Like most other places, the guides are territorial and don't like sharing spots with folks "Not from Here".

Some of the Ponds are full of fish but ramps are few and far between and most require a local parking permit in order to launch.

Stripers and Bluefish make up 99% of the fishing but you can also bottom fish for Scup, Blackfish & Flounder. Albies and Bonito arrive late August and stick around till October.

2 great sources for local information are;
On The Water Magazine https://www.onthewater.com
Salty Cape website https://saltycape.com

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Endless choices in that region. A quick trip to the Connecticut will put you on some great pike and Musky water to go with the great salt options.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The Farmington River in nw Ct. has good, classic trout water that can be fished year round. Like the others said, the flats on the Cape can be a lot of fun. Here is fun article on fishing the cinder worm hatch in RI. https://www.anglersjournal.com/saltwater/magic-hatch

May/June and September/October can be pretty awesome in general in the NE. Hop on the ferry from New London to Orient Pt. NY sometime in October and explore both the north and south forks of Long Island if you can, there can be very good action and Montauk is a magic place. PM me if you come to LI and I’ll share some info with you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the information gents. Scrather if I make it to LI I will definitely PM you.

·
Mount Pleasant, SC
182 Posts
Jake let me know when you get up this way, i just moved to NH from Charleston SC but grew up on the Cape, plan on fishing my Gladesmen hard this summer!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for the very late response. to I'm new the forum.
I hope you found out about the squid night bite off the goat bridge in the spring! That can be pretty fun. As far as skiff fishing I forget most of the ramp reg as I was down there a lot about 10 years ago. That said Newport is fun to fish.

One member said stripers and blue are the make up and that's certainly true. Fluke, tog and black bass can be had at the right times too. Like most of the north east striper fishing look underwater structure and rocks on maps a look for natural Eddie's. Fish will be there always.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts