Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to NC for a wedding next week. The wedding is in Brevard, southwest of Asheville, and really close to a bunch of cool looking trout water I have never fished. I will have about four hours (if I'm lucky) to escape and get my feet wet. I'll pack my light 7'6" 3wt, a small box of flies, and a couple spools of tippet.

I'm trying to research the Davidson, West and North Forks of the French Broad, Avery Creek, and other small rivers/streams in the area.

1. Help me pack my fly box for late October in NC. If I'm going blind, I will have a box full of soft hackles, midges, nymphs, and stoneflies. I can't imagine there are many terrestrials or hatches left...maybe drakes?

2. Help me choose where to go. I will literally drive to the water from the airport and then drive to the rehearsal from the water. One brookie or brown would make my day.

Thanks amigos!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
61 Posts
It’s been quite a few years since I’ve fished up that way but the Davidson River was always productive. Park at the fish hatchery and fish above the bridge. It is smaller than other sections of the Davidson and easier to fish. You’re 3 weight should be perfect there. There are plenty of fish but they are pretty educated.

As far as flies go, stop at Davidson River Outfitters. They are (or used to be) at the entrance of the main highway that runs through Pisgah National Forest. The can set you up with the flies that are currently producing the best. Standard nymphs and dry flies work well. I caught a lot of fish on a deer hair caddis they used to tie. It was basically an elk hair caddis with a traditional hackle collar.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,070 Posts
Looking Glass Creek has beautiful native rainbows. I parked at Sliding Rock and fished upstream of the falls but it's also good from the Davidson to the falls. Davidson is good, anywhere in the fly-fishing section,which I believe starts above Avery Creek. North Fork and South Fork of French Broad is good.So is North Mills River and South Mills River. I start with Parachute Adams or generic caddis.

Reactions: State fish rob

·
I Love microskiff.com!
89 Posts
Its a little father south, but I just fished North Georgia this weekend. My go to when I am short on time is zebra midges in black or purple. They may not be the hot fly, or the prevalent bug for any time of year, but midges are in the water column year round. If i dont have much time, I drift midges under an indicator and usually catch a few fish. If I have more time to try to match the hatch with size and color, I'll do that... but midges never let me down.

·
Registered
230 Posts
OP since your short on time and as others mentioned the Davidson would be best. Stop at DRO, get some dropper fly rigs (one is one two few), bridge mentioned is a good place, use light tippet and gentle casts. See other post here about Asheville and here are some pics.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can always pay to fish the private waters that Davidson River Outfitters has. The area by the bridge right behind the store has plenty of fish in it. I fished with them after my daughter’s wedding in Asheville, good guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts