Noob questions from a first time boat owner

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by walkercope, Jun 22, 2020.

1. walkercope

walkercope Active Member

Been running my first boat for a couple months now and I've been having a blast and am learning a lot (mostly the easy way so far luckily). I've got some (probably dumb) questions but I'm gonna ask em anyways. My boat's a hog island with Tohatsu 50/35 Jet.

1) My fuel bulb isn't staying tight like I expect it should but my motor is running great and has no problem starting. Should I be concerned?

2) I don't have a fuel/water separator - how important is it really to have one?

3) My motor has an audible, higher frequency rattling sound when I get close to full throttle. First time I noticed it was the same trip I got my first low oil warning. I figured it was probably the metal piece inside the oil tank rattling around since it was in air and not oil, but it's still doing it after filling up with oil.

4) It's about time for me to do my first oil change (I think you're supposed to do one after your first 10 hours?). I'm sure this is a dumb question, but what's the point in changing the oil on a two stroke since the oil is consumed by the engine...seems like it essentially changes itself as I run it?

2. backcast

backcast I Love microskiff.com!

#4. A 2 stroke there is no oil to change. It is added to gas. Is your motor a 4 stroke?
    Joe

NativeBone and trekker like this.

3. NativeBone

NativeBone Well-Known Member

1) No. Prime bulb is not intended to stay hard after startup. The fuel pump takes over.
    2)Cheap, why not? Good insurance
    3)Hmmm.. may be so a concern or not. May need to fish more and collect more data.:confused:
    4)may need to revise your question. Do you mean you have a 4s? In a 2s the oil is mixed with the fuel:cool:

4. walkercope

walkercope Active Member

I thought I remembered the manual saying something about recommending an oil change after the break-in period is over, which I was asking about because it didn't make sense to change the oil in a two stroke...But I read through the manual this morning a bit and didn't see anything like that...so nevermind for #4 I guess.

Thanks for the responses! Not sure how i'd mount a water separator in my boat...

5. JC Designs

JC Designs Well-Known Member

I’m not trying to be a smart ass here so please don’t take it that way. But... if you don’t know whether your motor is a 2st or 4st you should maybe take it to a local dealer for service my friend. While there, have them check out the rattle. My guess is it is the normal “jet” rattle but better safe than sorry.

NativeBone likes this.
  6. walkercope

walkercope Active Member

It's a 2 stroke...not sure why people above think I am uncertain about it.

When I bought it, I was told it was the third time that motor had been in the water, the rattle started maybe around the 10th time. It's more of an annoyance than something I feel like I should be concerned about but

JC Designs likes this.
  7. ceejkay

ceejkay Well-Known Member

1) Normal after it starts. If it goes flat and motor dies then it’s an issue.

2) I’ve had more water in fuel problems than I like to admit. I won’t run a boat with out one.

4) Maybe your thinking lower unit oil? 10 hrs seems a little soon for that. Could be wrong though.

JC Designs likes this.
  8. Surffshr

Surffshr Well-Known Member

IDK about that engine, but some would recommend double oil for a certain number of hours when a motor is new (or newly rebuilt).

JC Designs likes this.
  9. Salty Dawg

Salty Dawg Well-Known Member

At 10 or 20 hours it is good to change the LOWER UNIT oil. By then the gears are broken in and mesh cleanly and pieces may be in the oil. Don't know about a jet unit though.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    ek02 likes this.
  10. fishnpreacher

fishnpreacher Well-Known Member

Does a jet have a foot with oil in it?

11. walkercope

walkercope Active Member

I think not. Pretty sure just grease which you top off after every use

JC Designs likes this.
  12. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

so you have a TLDI jet? cool. I have a 50 TLDI with prop. a lot of the TLDI's make a kind of high pitched chirping noise but I only notice it a lower rpms. TohatsuF35Jet-2.jpg

commtrd and JC Designs like this.
  13. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

the computers on injected 2 strokes put more oil in for a preset break in period and then less after break in.

JC Designs likes this.