Non skid work

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Sheremeta, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Sheremeta

Sheremeta Well-Known Member

I am having my hull professionally painted because I do not have to means to flip the hull over or the skill/tools to do a flawless job however I am considering doing the deck myself with rollers since 99% of the deck will be non skid. My question is how well will awlgrip come out on the slick lines of the boat if rolled on? ls it not worth it and should I just have it done professionally? My tub is going to be shot with Line x so it's not a whole lot to paint. I am doing all the sanding myself. I am fairly handy, I have rebuilt refrigerant compressors and completely disassembled and rebuilt a lower unit by watching videos on YouTube. Plus the satisfaction of doing it myself is rewarding.

2. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

If it is not a whole lot to paint then I would probably just have the shop do it also. In the back of your mind, you will always try and compare the section you did to the other done by the professional. If they don't coincide then it will probably bother you every time you use the boat. Food for thought, but I am also 100% for someone who takes on a new project and does well..

3. Sheremeta

Sheremeta Well-Known Member

Starting tomorrow I have two weeks without a boat while the hull is painted. Maybe I will test my skills on some scrap fiberglass. What type of rollers do I have to use?

4. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

I prefer foam Whiz rollers. Be careful of any other types because they are not shed resistant. Lay on coat with the roller and then tip it with a brush. It will smooth the roll texture out and give you a good finish..