Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have recently started fishing the Matlacha fo area on kayaks and one thing I have noticed is that either people here cannot read or just don’t care about the no wake signs. They fly thru the channels with their bow up in the air and I have personally seen a kayak almost flip due to the wake they cause. And good luck asking one of these guys to slow down a bit cause it usually ends in cursing and was even threatened once. So I have taken the liberty of alerting the local marine patrol office who informed me that it is an ongoing issue in the area that has recently become worse. They let me know that they will be placing marine patrols on shore at the various sea walls and on sea at different points to begin enforcing no wake zones with steep fines and even arrests for repeat offenders. I have been boating my whole life from Miami to the keys and now on the west coast and have never seen the ridiculousness I have seen here in just a few short months out on the water. Has anyone else had similar experiences in this area or anywhere else?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you notice all of the idiots on your way to the water? You didn’t launch from a busy boat launch starting off with a sunrise yoga session first I hope. No wake zones are another topic altogether.
Not sure if what you mean by this but ok lol. I personally don’t live on the water but I wonder what the liability is for damaging a docked vessel due to not following posted rules or worse flipping a kayaker and causing an injury or a drowning.

·
Registered
620 Posts
They could right tickets all day every day for the no wake zones south of the park and in the Indian Fields area. My favorites are guides who see you idling towards an area or the ramp and find it necessary to jump on plane to cut in front of you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My point was there are idiots on the water, idiots on the roads and kayakers that tend to hang out at ramps. By nature we are idiots. Some worse than others and becoming worse everyday.
Oh your right about that. I can’t wait to see some of those idiots in handcuffs with there boats impounded.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,269 Posts
How about with some consideration. I personally slow down when I’m on my big boat wether it’s a kayaker or even another boat anchored up on a mangrove fishing.
That’s ignorant and this is coming from a guy that kayak fished longer than running a skiff...
Dumbasses that slow down are the ones that throw a wake that flips kayaks. Run by on plane and there’s not much more than a ripple left behind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s ignorant and this is coming from a guy that kayak fished longer than running a skiff...
Dumbasses that slow down are the ones that throw a wake that flips kayaks. Run by on plane and there’s not much more than a ripple left behind.
I can see ur logic however we are talking about people that are bow up creating a huge wake in a no wake zone. Now if your actually looking forward and paying attention to where u are going you should see the kayaker or a parked boat with plenty of time to slow down unless ur coming around a bend of some sorts.

·
Registered
156 Posts
[QUOTE="Smackdaddy53,Run by on plane and there’s not much more than a ripple left behind.[/QUOTE]

Add safe distance and this is the only answer. Can't stand getting the stank eye from paddlecraft... disclaimer... I frequent paddleboard fishing and a recent long time former gheenoe owner

·
Registered
164 Posts
When passing a kayak/canoe in a normal speed zone within a narrow channel, I will come off plane and attempt to idle past them. Most will continue paddling at max speed so that I am unable to overtake them. I suppose they want me to follow them wherever they are going at 2 knots. So much for courtesy.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
So I have recently started fishing the Matlacha fo area on kayaks and one thing I have noticed is that either people here cannot read or just don’t care about the no wake signs. They fly thru the channels with their bow up in the air and I have personally seen a kayak almost flip due to the wake they cause. And good luck asking one of these guys to slow down a bit cause it usually ends in cursing and was even threatened once. So I have taken the liberty of alerting the local marine patrol office who informed me that it is an ongoing issue in the area that has recently become worse. They let me know that they will be placing marine patrols on shore at the various sea walls and on sea at different points to begin enforcing no wake zones with steep fines and even arrests for repeat offenders. I have been boating my whole life from Miami to the keys and now on the west coast and have never seen the ridiculousness I have seen here in just a few short months out on the water. Has anyone else had similar experiences in this area or anywhere else?
Welcome to Swfl been dealing with it a longgg time water overpopulation here get use to it unfortunately not enough Fwc officers to enforce. I was up in the river yesterday at the Alva boat ramp and witnessed a center console blast right thru the no wake zone then proceeded to turn around and fly right back thru it and only came off plane when I threw my hands up in the air. The river is clearly marked no wake.

·
Registered
468 Posts
yeah not many people really adhere to the no wake/manatee zones up and down the IRL..I dont often have issues with boats, but as Ive mentioned in another thread, the some in the powered sup/solo skiff crowd dont seem to mind zipping across flats or between my boat and the shoreline

admittedly the zone annoys me too but such is life

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
Being on plane in a no wake zone shouldn’t be tolerated.
But paddlecraft giving the stink eye when you pass them in the channel is always funny. This was really bad in Estero bay when I used to fish there a lot.

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
yeah not many people really adhere to the no wake/manatee zones up and down the IRL..I dont often have issues with boats, but as Ive mentioned in another thread, the some in the powered sup/solo skiff crowd dont seem to mind zipping across flats or between my boat and the shoreline

admittedly the zone annoys me too but such is life
The last time I was in Matlacha I had two kayakers go between me and the shoreline. I just lifted my arms as much to say “you’ve got to be kidding me”.

·
"This one time at band camp..."
290 Posts
My point was there are idiots on the water, idiots on the roads and kayakers that tend to hang out at ramps. By nature we are idiots. Some worse than others and becoming worse everyday.
Like this guy?

1 - 20 of 144 Posts