No turning back... Rod locker modification Scout 192

Discussion in 'Big Boat Bragging Spot' started by iMacattack, Jun 10, 2012.

1. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

We have enjoyed our 192 Scout Sportfisher. Great boat with lots of room (8' beam), dry ride and plenty of storage.

One problem we have found are the rod lockers. When we purchased the boat from a forum member he said up fron that the rod lockers on the boat... well... sucked! He was 100% correct!  ;D

Unless we relegate ourselves to only using children's Zebco Spiderman and Barbie rods something had to be done.

So with some guidance (and tools) from a local boat builder I took to trying to correct the problem.

Nice concept for locking storage but the opening was too small and longer rods, 6' 6" an longer, refused to be properly stored. Plus limited storage as only two rods per side were able to be fit into the lockers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Under excellent guidance it was determined to draw out and position the first cut. I used a hole saw to create a radius for the corner. Plus it aloud us to inspect the area we had to work with. If it was deemed impossible to open up this area then a simple inspection plate would cover my sin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now we are at the point of no return. With a combination of cut off wheel and small air powered reciprocating saw the area was opened up to expose the work to come. I will say upfront by doing the work myself I have gained a greater appreciation for the hard work it takes to build and modify boats. It also has given my that joyous experience of fiberglass infiltrating every sweaty pour of my skin. I think I'll stick to my day job!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally it was time to remove the rod tubes and inner finished box to fully open up the area. There was some closed cell foam that I had to remove to prep the areas for the next steps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point I'm ready to rebuild the rod storage area. The current plan is to use 1/2" core material and build out the inner area. I'm going to put in 4 - 1.5" rod tubes per side. This will allow me to use this area more efficiently.

More pix to come in about a week!

Cheers
    Capt. Jan

2. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Glad im not the only one doing projects like this

3. out-cast

out-cast Well-Known Member

Purdy boats sitting next to it ;) Cant wait to see the end result!! :)

4. iMacattack

Yea I like the green and white one too... :p ;D

5. iMacattack

Spent another Saturday working on her. Though the before and after look about the same. Spent the day removing foam for the additional rod tubes. Doing some grinding to prepare the surfaces for glass and making the templates for the coreing. With luck the parts will get glassed in this week..

6. iMacattack

Did a little more work today. Cut the 1/2" core to fit. Glassed everything in today except the front pieces. Cut all the rod tubes and flared out the ends. Will take pictures of that tomorrow. Just a few more items and then it will be far enough along to bring home. I'm going to gell coat and carpet to finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. iMacattack

A little more work done today...

Rod Tubes - Two for 9' fly rods.
    [​IMG]

Rod tubes mounted to front piece.
    [​IMG]

All glassed in - next step is to gelcoat with moondust tinted gelcoat and then carpet.
    [​IMG]

8. shallowminded

shallowminded Well-Known Member

Where did you get the end pieces for the rod tubes?? not the caps but the open side? mine are broken and i need to fix them

9. iMacattack

No trim rings. All 1 piece PVC tube. Boat builder secret... LOL He has a custom jig he created. I used a heat gun to soften the PVC and then used the jig to flair them out. No seams, nothing to catch the rod eyes on. It's super smooth.

10. shallowminded

shallowminded Well-Known Member

well they came out great. Mine got disconnected when we cut the front deck off to remove the old gas tank.... looks like ill be doing some research on fixing this matter...

11. iMacattack

Here is where I am currently. Basically just need to cut my rod holders and finish the trim.

[​IMG]

12. cvilt

cvilt I Love microskiff.com!

13. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Jan this would be a great topic in the how-to section. I know Brett's done it successfully as well, but I've tried it briefly with larger diameter tubing and was splitting the tube. Used heat gun as well as boiling water methods. Maybe some help on tube selection (schedule, etc) and making a jig.

14. loud_by_design

loud_by_design I Love microskiff.com!

thicker pipe is a little harder to do it with in my very limited experience. we use to do this with 4" and 6" pvc for flared aero ports for sub boxes. used a heat gun and stainless bowls of assorted sizes. it takes a few practice runs to get it right but once you do its pretty nice.

when you were doing it would the pvc pull apart or crack?

15. iMacattack

I had one of the first ones crack on me. But after that it went quick.

16. Kane_Thorp

Kane_Thorp I Love catching reds!!

How do you like this boat? What do you think performance draft and speed wise would be with a 200hpdi vmax?

17. iMacattack

We love the boat. It's a great platform for family outings, backcountry fishing and intercostal cruising.

With the 150 I can just hit 50-51mph. Draft is just shy of 12 inches. Not sure what a 200 would do but it was only rated for a 175 max.

Cheers