No spray fuel connections

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by fsae99, Nov 10, 2014.

1. fsae99

fsae99 I Love microskiff.com!

First, yes it has been a long time since I've posted.

I have a 1983 Johnson 2 cylinder 60 HP, and recently have been having problems with the OEM fuel connections leaking and sucking air. I want to change all the connections on tanks, fuel line and motor to something easier and more secure than the stock OMC fittings.

Any suggestions ?

Regards,
    Jim

2. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

The new "No Spray" are GARBAGE !!! :-(

3. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

I've heard from many that the OEM motor connectors are the best and only ones to use. The aftermarket ones are often made with cheap o rings. Now for the tank, a normal straight barb connector is the way to go. You should try and eliminate as many quick connectors as possible. Those are likely your source of an air leak..

4. fsae99

Afterhours,
    I had not thought of strait lining the tank. I could do that with cutoff valve on each tank.

Noe, I was thinking the new ones had to be to good to be true.

Thanks guys,

Jim

5. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Noe, I was thinking the new ones had to be to good to be true.

Did not work right from the box ! Second one the same ! Barb on tank OEM on motor WTG IMHO !

6. tomahawk

tomahawk Well-Known Member

So if you straight line it how do you change tanks or fill it without taking the hose off of the barb? Sounds like a pita.
    I have two 3 gallon tanks up front and a 3rd spare for extra long runs. I don't have the room for a 6 gal. in the bow compartment.

7. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

Probably would not be practical if your constantly changing tanks. My rigs have only had 1 large tank that gets filled at the gas station or per portable 6 gallon..

8. fsae99

I've had the boat for 4 years now and have never once filled the tanks outside of the boat. For me this should not be a problem.

Now that you have mentioned it though I'll make a plug for one line. The fuel line will have a bulb with 2 lines attached. If I need to remove tanks I'll just undo one clamp, plug that line and tanks would not leak.

Regards,
    Jim

9. tomahawk

tomahawk Well-Known Member

Makes sense. Thanks guys.