Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to replace my nav light for the bow. Walked into Advance Auto and the guy saw my bulb and said we won't have it. He showed me that my bulb had two contacts on the bottom of the base and their's only had one. Wow. I thought that bulb would be ubiquitous. Where do I need to get one? There is ZERO writing on it for me to identify it properly.

·
BBA Counselor
6,840 Posts
Hate to point out the obvious, but did you try a local boat/marine store? You can even get LED replacement bulbs in that style.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hate to point out the obvious, but did you try a local boat/marine store? You can even get LED replacement bulbs in that style.
Both were closed but just saying I didn't expect to not find them at advance. The local boat shop is closed on Saturday and I already sold two children to buy six 8-ga butt connectors at West Marine that week. 😀

Knowing the part number would help so I could simply order them... I believe the next poster provided his thought on that.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Both were closed but just saying I didn't expect to not find them at advance. The local boat shop is closed on Saturday and I already sold two children to buy six 8-ga butt connectors at West Marine that week. 😀

Knowing the part number would help so I could simply order them... I believe the next poster provided his thought on that.
The bulb in the picture is a bayonet style bulb (BA). 15 is the diameter in millimeters. D is for the type of base. BA15D.

·
Registered
249 Posts
A contact is a contact, what would it matter if it has two contacts or one?

The entire bottom of the bulb (both pads) are probably 12V hot - and then the ground is achieved on the side of the bulb (or, vice-versa).

Put a multimeter probe - one probe on each contact while reading OHM, if resistance is zero then they are connected to each other - therefore using a single contact bulb would be exactly the same.

This Ancor marine bulb for example only uses a single bottom pad:

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
West Marine will have most of what you need -but you'll always be paying top dollar... Somewhere near you will usually have a proper marine hardware store that will be cheaper and will certainly have not only what you need -but it will be made to be used on the water.... Do your homework, ask around, talk to other boat owners and find a proper source for all your boat needs. I like B.O.W. (Boatowners Warehouse) down here in south Florida. You might have something similar where you are... Only as a last ditch would I ever even consider stuff from Home Depot for on the water use since none of their stuff is designed for anything other than household use...

You can be certain you'll need them more than once since... "there is never just one thing wrong with your boat" - John D. MacDonald

"Aren't boats fun?" - LeMay (when he's being polite... ).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Polite
Once told me if he waves to you using all his fingers he is being polite.

Does not necessary meen he like you.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
West Marine...
Somewhere near you will usually have a proper marine hardware store...
Do your homework, ask around, talk to other boat owners and find a proper source for all your boat needs...

You can be certain you'll need them more than once since... "there is never just one thing wrong with your boat" - John D. MacDonald

"Aren't boats fun?" - LeMay (when he's being polite... ).
Hey, lemaymiani,

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, WestMarine did not have my specific bulb in stock - they barely had anything in stock in bulbs. A supply issue she said. You guys are my boating circle for the most part, so this is me learning/doing my homework - but I think you meant locally. I know of some local proper marine hardware stores. They were closed for the weekend, so I started on Microskiff.com.

There is certainly never just one thing wrong or one thing that needs to/could be improved, that's for sure.

As for boats fun? Yeah, I both hate electrical work on my boat so much I want to blow it up AS WELL AS go to community college, learn electrical work from the ground up, and go into business!!! :)

As always - and with all forums - I appreciate yours and everyone's feedback! :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A contact is a contact, what would it matter if it has two contacts or one? The entire bottom of the bulb (both pads) are probably 12V hot - and then the ground is achieved on the side of the bulb (or, vice-versa). Put a multimeter probe - one probe on each contact while reading OHM, if resistance is zero then they are connected to each other - therefore using a single contact bulb would be exactly the same. This Ancor marine bulb for example only uses a single bottom pad: [image deleted in quote by hawkman]
Thanks for the input. I guess it stemmed from the guy at Advance saying it wouldn't work and an underlying lack of full knowledge of bulbs/electricity. It seems somewhat logical that if there are two prongs on both the bulb and receptacle, that there's a reason for it that would make a single contact not work.

Why would there be two versions? West Marine had various bulbs, some listed as two-contact, and some as one.

I'll check what you said. If there's no difference whether one contact or two, then party on, but I'll get a marine-version, not car-parts-store version.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All of this and the truth is I'd rather mount a light to my poling platform. I just want to solve this quicker for less money at the moment as you can understand.

·
Brandon, FL
9,941 Posts
Thanks for the input. I guess it stemmed from the guy at Advance saying it wouldn't work and an underlying lack of full knowledge of bulbs/electricity. It seems somewhat logical that if there are two prongs on both the bulb and receptacle, that there's a reason for it that would make a single contact not work.

Why would there be two versions? West Marine had various bulbs, some listed as two-contact, and some as one.

I'll check what you said. If there's no difference whether one contact or two, then party on, but I'll get a marine-version, not car-parts-store version.
Shallows is right. However your socket has 2 contractors to match the 2 on the bulb. Using a 1 prong might not make contact.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts