Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
A simple old Gheenoe
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Still learning the saltwater game and looking for some feedback. Randomly had the day off yesterday, so took the Gheenoe out to Point Aux Chen. Located fish-- could see wakes/pushes, etc. but the water was too cloudy to sight fish unless the fish was pushing a wave. Put plenty of flies within striking distance, but they just weren't buying what I was selling. Threw shrimp/crab/baitfish patterns, a popper, light colors for contrast, dark colors for silhouette... nothing. It was VERY hot, we got out there a little late in the morning, etc, so not the best conditions, but wondering what I could/ should do differently.

Thanks in advance!

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
15,036 Posts
Some days that is how it goes no matter how experienced or what gear you have. It helps in most situations but you can’t make fish eat that are not eating. Now and then you might be able to coax a reaction strike but honestly there are days when they just will not eat and there are also days where they refuse everything and then like someone flipped the go light to green and they’ll eat anything within a few feet of their head.
One thing that really helps to keep in mind is presenting a fly or lure that is able to get into their feeding window. If fish are cruising low and you toss a gurgler and they swim right under it before they see or sense it they won’t eat it. Try something that gets their attention and gets in their feeding window in proper time.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yeah when its murky and they are just fat mullet pushing around!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
PAC is my favorite summer time stomping grounds. It's a very good fishery but it experiences a lot of small boat pressure. You're going to have to work at finding clean water and happy summertime fish. Especially with the heavy kayak presence.

Mullet make a wake that's narrow and erratic. Redfish push a broad wake that is very deliberate in it's movement. Mullet are nervous little critters so they don't hang out in the cleanest water. You will see them scatter like roaches. I usually leave if I see lots of mullet. I don't like them.

·
Registered
A simple old Gheenoe
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely saw some erratic movement (which I assumed were not Reds), but also some big, straight-line wakes. Gotta believe there were some in there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts