Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Anyone have options for holding batteries and coolers in place on the deck without drilling into it? I was hoping some sort of brackets that can be placed around the item and securing with an adhesive of sorts.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Grab some Coosa or similar, cut to desired shape and epoxy down to deck. You can them screw down straps to the Coosa. Or you can use the Coosa as corner chocks. Regardless which way, the coosa will be epoxy to the deck.
Just make sure you prep the deck before you epoxy the coosa down to deck;)

Reactions: emoney and DuckNut

·
Brandon, FL
9,925 Posts
You will have an easier time finding pieces of hardwood on the interweb

Ipe wold be my choice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will have an easier time finding pieces of hardwood on the interweb

Ipe wold be my choice.
actually, I went to Home Depot and bought some PVC siding in 8’x1”x1.5”. Easy to cut, water proof, sun resistant, and epoxys well too. I cut and made them into “L” brackets for the cooler and battery’s. Looks and works well.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
5200 holds pretty good and can be removed later (with some effort). doesn't work on starboard though.

·
Brandon, FL
9,925 Posts
actually, I went to Home Depot and bought some PVC siding in 8’x1”x1.5”. Easy to cut, water proof, sun resistant, and epoxys well too. I cut and made them into “L” brackets for the cooler and battery’s. Looks and works well.
What kind of epoxy are you using that works well with plastic? I know it holds a screw relatively well but I am at a blank for glue

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What kind of epoxy are you using that works well with plastic? I know it holds a screw relatively well but I am at a blank for glue
jb weld marine weld in the syringe. It’s a small job and this works just fine.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Didn’t know about heat either.

You can glue starboard to anything with epoxy.
The trick is to have a recessed area that can hold the epoxy on the starboard.
An inch inside drill a hole half deep with a forstner bit.
Then use a dovetail bit on a router set for same depth. Route around the piece within this recess. Then you fill with epoxy with a little over the edges and apply pressure till cured.

The routed dovetail will harden and you have a mechanical bond/joint.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can always chisel the epoxied block off the deck when no longer needed. Not so easy to undo a screw hole that lets in water. I do not EVER drill into fiberglass and especially not with a wood core.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
for a moment there, I wasn't sure what was being discussed. either way, I'd go with slightly toasted marshmallow. It will look and taste better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts