Nissan/Tohatsu fuel fittings

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by TomFL, Jul 4, 2009.

1. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of these motors, but the fuel fitting stink and are expensive.

Are there any other fuel fittings that will fit on the motor? I thought I'd heard ther might be other fittings that will basically bolt on in place of the motor end male/female nissan/tohatsu ones.

-T

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I think they're the same diameter as the Yamaha fittings

3. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I have a spare Yamaha male fuel, but it's the tank side, not engine side so I can't be sure...

What I'm looking for is an alternative to the Nissan engine-side fuel line fittings, both male and female. I love these outboards, but I've found the fittings to be the only weak point on the motor. And they are usually pricey if you are forced to buy local (my local dealer is about $35 each for the two fittings!! Online they can be found cheaper of course, but the time is the bummer.

This is what I need an alternative to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Engine-Side-Fuel-Line-Connector-for-Nissan-Tohatsu_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1171QQ_trksidZp4506Q2ec0Q2em245QQhashZitem45ecc7bcf8QQitemZ300325256440QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGearQQsalenotsupported

It's kind of a bulkhead fitting. The male part is the part I'm stumped on as far as finding an alternative.

-T

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Merc-san-hatsu...? :D

5. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

I have Just Removed the fitting and run the hose out the hole .... You can put anything on the Hose ...Or just put a tank connector on it ...

Dave

6. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member

what problems are you having with them?

7. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

They leak!!

One I've had in the past have had the plastic parts inside the fittings fall apart. The plastic "plunger" part.

This set just flat out leaks bad, although both male and female connections look clean and in perfect condition.

-T

8. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member

Have you tried replacing the Orings inside the fittings.

9. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

The fuel fitting through the lower engine cowling can be replaced
    with any design fitting you want. unbolt, and replace.
    I looked at the parts diagram on line and it appears to be a simple installation.

10. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Can that be done???

-T

11. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

O yeah... ;D

12. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

all it takes are a few cold ones ;D

merc owns 51% of tohatsu

13. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Alright, MR Google, I've searched and come up with nothing.

Anyone have any input as to what size/material and where to get the o-rings?

-T

14. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I pull the O-ring I need to match, and take it with me for comparison,
    the last one I purchased came from Ace Hardware.
    Northern Tools carries them also...

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&in_dym=1&Nty=1&D=than&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=o%20rings&cmnosearch=PPC&cm_ven=PPC&cm_cat=I-search%20(Google%20Adwords)&cm_pla=unproven&cm_ite=o%20rings

O-ring material compatibility chart to match O-ring to fluid

http://www.allorings.com/compatibility.htm

15. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

does he not just kill ya???? ;)

16. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Indeed he does :D

Trouble is, I don't see any of those O-rings that are ethanol or alcohol compatible. Whether they are or not is open to debate, as neither is listed. Maybe that's the issue with the fittings in the first place?

-T

17. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Ask your parts guy at the local merc dealer,
    he'll know more than I do.

I'd replace the entire hose with a new OEM hose.
    If the O-rings are gone, I'd be questioning the reliability
    of the internal valves of the squeeze ball.

18. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

That's the funny thing. The fittings and all look absolutely brand new, but leak like a sieve.

They are clean inside and out, and nothing appears to be wrong with them.

But, I had the same issue with the old 18 that I had, although they did not look brand new...

19. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Being an optimist, I'm positive I'll have problems at the worst possible time and place.

:eek:

If the hose is giving me problems at home, I can imagine the problems in the backcountry.
    Already been there and played that game. I'd get a new hose and eliminate the worry.

20. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

**********NEWS FLASH**********

Found a hairline slit in the female fitting's O-ring.... hard to see but it's there.

Now off to find a replacement.......

-T