Nissan Outboard 18hp - NS18E2 - pisser problem

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by boatsrcool, Sep 29, 2011.

1. boatsrcool

boatsrcool Well-Known Member

Bought a 18hp Nissan 2-stroke to replace my 9.8hp Nissan 4-stroke on the Gheenoe this week. In the process of buying parts to re-convert to tiller steer (was set up for remote).

The motor is running but needs a tune up. Also not pissing when we cranked it. Unfortunately the pisser is located in the leg so there are not hoses to disconnect and run a hanger through to try and clear any debris. Any suggestions on clearing for debris on this model before I give up and take in to the shop to have the impeller replaced? I'm planning to change lower unit oil and clean carb, any other general maintenance I should do? Thanks

2. Gator_Bob

Gator_Bob Well-Known Member

Not sure of the difference between the 4 stroke and the 2 stroke as far as the cooling system. I rebuilt the water pump myself and the motor still had a weak pee. So I changed the thermostat. Now the motor has a strong pee. I had to buy a $85 tool to remove the pin for the linkage on the lower unit. The thermostat was easy, just had a problem locating it. It was located next to the oil filter. I was amazed at the junk in the cooling system when taking the thermostat off.

3. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

I just changed the impeller in one of those just used a pin punch ... the motor was new old stock so everything came apart super easy ...

Whole job took 30 minutes ...

4. boatsrcool

NoeEttica,
    I think i'm going to bite the bullet and try my first impeller replacement.  did you find any useful threads or pages from a manual on doing this to the 18hp?  When I did my first carb rebuild I lucked out with a youtube video on the entire process which made it super easy. 

I know where to get the parts, I just need some instruction!  Also,  what size pin punch did you have to use? And I assume just to disconnect the linkage?

5. boatsrcool

I'm going to order a service manual this week. I've heard the factory manual can be confusing. Would you guys suggest clymers, seloc or factory?

6. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

The only shop manual worth having is the OEM manual.
    More information, specialty tools, better pictures and specifications.
    Engine specific information, clear step by step descriptions of the process.
    Clymer, Chilton, Seloc....seem to be much more generic manuals.
    Multiple engine models covered with less accurate descriptions.